Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Other Uses for Laundry Detergent

I just bought a new front-loading wash machine and I have to use special low suds detergent in it. So, I am left with a very large box of regular Tide detergent. Any ideas on how I can use the Tide in other cleaning tasks?

Marcie from Prairie du Sac, WI

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Marcie [4]09/20/2008

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I really appreciate your help!

Marcie from Wisconsin

PS I love my new front loading washer!

By jojo (Guest Post)09/20/2008

I have used 'full' suds washing powder (of which I keep some on hand for hand washing or steeping) in my front loader when I have run out of low sud powder. I simply use half or less of the amount required. I have also used some when mopping my floors. It won't go to waste!

By KLS8800 (Guest Post)09/19/2008

Get a very pretty jar and put the Tide in that. Then call a church and ask if they know of anyone low income (trust me, they do), that could use a little help by getting some free laundry detergent.

By Katie [3]09/19/2008

I would just use the Tide in the new washer. Use half the usual amount and you should be fine. That's what I've been doing the 5 1/2 years I've owned mine.

By Sharon (Guest Post)09/19/2008

You could donate it to whatever cause you're interested in. Kennels, churches, a friend or neighbor who may be having money problems and would like free soap. It's always good to give if we have extra.

By Sandi [390]09/19/2008

Cheap or expensive detergent (in powder form) kills moss on your sidewalks. Just sprinkle some one, wait about 4 days till it turns a rusty color, then spray or sweep it off.

By (Guest Post)09/19/2008

I remember my mom using Tide to wash dishes when her dish soap ran out. I now keep a foaming type pump bottle with water and a little tide for that really stuck on food "stuff" and soak awhile. Works great.

By Michele (Guest Post)09/19/2008

Put it on cheapcycle in your area, someone will buy it.

By Ann09/18/2008

Use your Tide the next time you mop your floor instead of "special" soap for your floor. My husband worked at a fast food place for over 10 years and they used Tide w/Bleach to clean their floors. It's an excellent cleaner and degreaser and it will make your whole house smell fresh.

By Heather09/18/2008

If your bathroom sinks, toilets, showers aren't extremely dirty and don't need real heavy duty cleaning, you can dilute it and put it in a spray bottle and use that to clean up with. And, it makes the bathroom smell good too. Also, you can put some in a little bowl and dilute with water and sit it around in different areas of your house on days when you have your windows open and it will make the whole house smell wonderful! I also keep some under my kitchen sink near the trash can to keep that from smelling.

By Chris09/18/2008

I have used laundry detergent to absorb motor oil from leaks fom cars or changing the oil in cars or lawnmowers. It cleans as well as absorbs.

By (Guest Post)09/18/2008

Dilute with water and use it in a spray bottle as a spot treater before washing laundry. I've been doing this for years.

By Cora [1]09/18/2008

Some people use Tide in carpet steam cleaning machines such as Rug Doctor that you can rent at Wal-Mart or other stores.