MiscellaneousHome

Chirping Smoke Detector Is Driving Me Crazy

Category Miscellaneous

How can I stop a chirping from one of my electric smoke detectors? I put in a fresh battery and it keeps chirping, please help.

Thank you and God bless you always.

By Ana from Raleigh, NC

It is worn out. You have to replace it. Those things don't last forever and when they stop working they chirp to let you know.

I had this problem also. What finally worked was to clean them from dust.. You can use the air dusters for electronics. That did it for me. Good Luck.

We had this problem too. Drove us crazy. As it was "wired" into the house, we had to call the monitoring company who installed it in the house. And of course it had to be way up high in a cathedral ceiling. Much taller than our ladder could reach.

Our problem turned out to be a spider that had crawled into the smoke detector, and then died. LOL They used a can of compressed air to "blow" the spider out, as well as any other accumulated dust. Evidently this is a common occurrence.

Hope this helps you.

That's the built-in mechanism, alerting you to the fact that you have to get a new one. I just went through the same thing with my combo CO/smoke detector. I went to the manufacturer's website and found out that I'd have to replace it. At least the non combo detectors are relatively inexpensive, compared to the combo. Walmart, Target, Home Depot and Lowe's tend to sell them at lower prices than other stores.

Just fixed that problem. After trying to replace the battery, adjust the temperature in your house, and blowing on it to get rid of dust, make sure that your battery is facing the right way, and that it's correctly touching it's leads.

Anonymous

I've had it for over 3 months, checked everything I could think of, still ringing n no finds. Its so weird, it beeps differently at any given time, and changes location in the same room. Looked everywhere, can't find it! It's so annoying and disturbing.