Smelly Feet Odor in My Car

How can I get rid of bad smelly feet odour in my car? It's not form my feet or a stray shoe - I think he it must have been a spillage no one is admitting to!

Helen from Ireland

Try leaving some charcoal in your car for a few days, should absorb the smell. But you really need to get to the bottom of it.

Did somebody smoke in your car? It kind of smells like feet when it gets into the upholstery.

Hi Helen - Western Washington State, here on the Pacific Ocean, is a lot like Ireland for climate (we have the forty shades of green for sure). I would suggest keeping the pot-type dehumidifiers in your car. It's just a kit you buy, a plastic container with a packet of crystals to put in the top half. so that it pulls the humidity out of the air. Foot odor, if that's what it is, is caused by a fungus, and complete dryness is needed to kill it.

Helen, You might want to try putting baking soda on the carpet and upholstery. Also BBQ charcoal sounded pretty good too.

Liz Bisbee, Az

Sometimes when we get a lot of rain and use our air conditioner or vents it smells like "feet', but I think it is just stagnant water. We let the car and vent run for a while or you could check with a car dealer.

Also could be something like urine from a cat

or other animal that was UNDER car where you may have parked for a while in the heat or animal could have peed under hood or on tire maybe?

I spray OUST in my vents at times and then run car

with vents open to air out. goodluck!

I had a zucchini roll under my car seat once. Out of sight, out of mind. Until a few days later that is. Wow what a smell! After scooping it out with paper plate, I cleaned the carpet as well as possible and then Febreezed the whole car, especially the carpet. It worked!

The problem that you are having is caused by one of two things. The first one could be that someone left the window down when it rained and the carpet got wet and went mildew. The most main cause is your AC system. The "evaporator" in your condensates on the outside of it. Air is blown across it from your AC blower. Dust and the like get stuck to it and it starts to break down causing the odour. It is very common on most cars but not all. There are a few places like your dealer that can clean the system but it does not take long for the problem to come back. Make sure that you always keep your ac or blower on at least low to keep fresh air moving over the evaporator coil to keep it aired out.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJuly 16, 2007
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Stinky Feet on Hardwood Floor
Remedies for Stinky Feet
Smelly Dog Paw
Remedy for Smelly Dog Feet
Smelly Sandal
Preventing Smelly Sandals