Are Crepe Myrtle Roots Invasive?

I am worried about the root system on a crepe myrtle tree. I want to plant one or two in my back yard close to my house and patio. Will the root system grow underneath my cement patio? How far away should I plant them? Thank you.

By Kgminer from Port Richey, FL

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I had a large, older crepe myrtle planted about 10 feet from the house & never had any problems with the roots.

Our house was built in 1902. A crape myrtle that was planted when the home was built was growing about 5 feet from the house. At the time we moved in, no one could figure out what it was because no one had seen one this big. The trunk was at least 2 ft. in diameter. It took a truck to pull it out. No foundation damage was caused by the tree.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Gardening TreesApril 24, 2009
Crepe Myrtle Not Blooming
Crepe Myrtle Not Blooming
Growing a Crepe Myrtle Tree
Growing a Crepe Myrtle Tree
backyard pond
Keeping Roots From Damaging a Pond's Lining
Pruning a Crepe Myrtle Tree
Pruning a Crepe Myrtle Tree
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 12:04:07 PM on 10.0.1.163 in 735 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.