Schnauzer With Digestive Problems

My 4-months-old Schnauzer puppy has digestive problems (diarrhea) every time we try to feed him dry puppy food.

He came to us from the breeder with a sample of Eukanuba Small Breed Puppy, and from the first day his poop was soft/liquid and he was gassing profusely (very bad smell). We had to put him on home cooked chicken and rice blunt diet that stopped diarrhea. After that

1. We checked him with the vet twice and everything was fine there,

2. We tried twice to gradually put him back from this chicken and rice diet to dry food; first, to Eukanuba, second time, to California Natural Puppy, and every time, it was diarrhea all over again.

I do not know what to do and we need to feed him dry food! He eats very fast, does not chew kibbles and maybe, that is his problem, but I do not know how to slow him down. Every time we tried to switch food, we did it slowly and about a week or so - he started runs at about half a portion of dry food, half of soft food. Otherwise the puppy is always happy and active, whether he has diarrhea or not.

If anybody ever had this problem, please, help!

Natasha from Ashland, MA

Best Answer

I have been told they can not eat food with corn products in it. We get ours food at the farm supply and it says no corn on it. It is a dry food. May have to get it at a pet store. I could not find any at Wal-mart without corn.

Best Answer

My mother has a small Westie and he also has problems with dog food and most people food. For the last 6 years she has been cooking chicken, rice and beans for him. The chicken is roasted, all skin and fat removed, and chopped up small. She boils the rice and veggies. Freezes this mix up in 1 cup portions for her pup. He eats 1/2 cup a day and has had no problems. The vet called it a sensitive stomach, common in some small breeds. During his 'episodes' he also had vomiting and was very lethargic. Any other food, he gets sick. If it works for you, keep cooking the chicken for him. Good luck.

Best Answer

I have a standard Schnauzer that had the same sort of problems at 4 months (he is now 7 months). I kept contributing it to eating dirt (although he didn't eat much of it). The only thing that seems to have worked is FortiFlora by Purina. It's the probiotic daily treatment that you sprinkle on their food. You can buy it online or from a vet, it's new and has kept him diarrhea free for a month now.

Best Answer

Also, adding canned pumpkin to the food helped keep it firm

Best Answer

I have two mini Schnauzers and both have bad stomach problems. My vet told me the reason for my dogs' problems is because they are eating too much fat. She explained to me that their body can't break down fat and that is what caused all the problems. Well it cost me over 500.00 dollars to find this out so I hope I can help someone out. So with my Schnauzer I have to feed a low fat food and if I give a treat to them it also has to have low fat. This is why Schnauzers do well with chicken products and lamb because of the low fat. Well hope this helps someone.

You might just have to stick with the chicken. When our pup was 6 mths. old she got parvo and as she recovered she would not eat...we cooked, boiled chicken thighs and cut them up. She is now 13 and that it what she has eaten all her life. It is cheaper than dog food. A pack of 14-16 thighs cost about 3 or 4 dollars at Sams or Costco. I boiled them in a big pot about once every two weeks and wrap them in wax paper, she gets one a day. It is a little extra trouble, but I can imagine it would be no more trouble than cleaning up runny poop all the time.

Plus you have the added bonus of the chicken broth which has always been used to great ends here at this house...and if I get too much on hand, I give it to someone.

As I said, it is some extra trouble, but then so were my kids and they didn't give me near the pleasure that this dog has!!

Try "GRAIN-FREE" food.

HI, YES, HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH TWO OF MY MINI SCHNAUZER'S SWITCH TO SCIENCE DIET ADULT MINI BITES AND HAND FEED HIM. THEN MAKE SURE HE DRINKS LOTS OF WATER, DO NOT FEED HIM ANYTHING ELSE AND HE WILL GET BETTER FOR YOU.

PS, STAY AWAY FROM PEOPLE FOOD AS I WENT THAT ROUTE FIRST THEN THEY STARTED TO THROW UP PROFUSELY WITH THE RUNS, WAS NOT FUN AT ALL, I WAS SO WORRIED THEY WOULD SURELY DIE. I STILL HAVE THE ONE MALE, THE OTHER I GAVE AWAY AND NO MORE PROBLEMS ON THE SCIENCE DIET. HAND FEEDING I SUGGESTED AS IT WILL SLOW DOWN HIS EATING. GOOD LUCK! WORKED FOR US!

My schnauzer is 5 years old and does not tolerate dog food. She gets gassy and has diarrhea. She has had chicken or hamburger and rice most of her life. I had a schnauzer before her that was the same way. She lived to be 16 years old eating chicken or hambuger with rice.

My Schnauzer, Jackson, is 4.5 year old. He always had sensitive stomach as a puppy (while on Max puppy food), he had diarrhea, vomiting etc., I am feeding him now natural food cooked by myself cooked chicken breast (no skin), chopped turkey, boiled salmon, cooked vegetables (broccoli, zucchini, carrots - he loves carrots), yams, rice (for carbs) and canned pumpkins. Addition of low-fat cottage cheese (ca. 3x a week) and low-fat yoghurt (no sugar added) has done miracle... No other treats but dog chicken breast treats from "Whole Foods". He is healthy - no diarrhea, no vomiting, no schnauzer bumps. It doesn't take much time at all to prepare all this - you can just put everything in microwave if you need to cook or into a boiler. Your dog is your baby, you want to give him/ her the best.

we had a situation once with one of our little dogs where we had to crush the dry dog food in our blender and it worked well for the dog

My daughter dog did eat like that I bought a slo bowl it did help

Maybe buy a scoff stopper bowl that may help

Try ginger root 1/8th teaspoon...you can also check online for amounts for puppies.

Sick pug at the vet.
Remedies for a Dog With Diarrhea
Pets Dogs HealthApril 1, 2007
white Schnauzer puppy
Miniature Schnauzer Breed Information and Photos
Sad looking english bulldog with owners hand petting him
Remedies for a Puppy With Diarrhea
Dachshund and Schnauzer Mix
Dachshund and Schnauzer Mixed Breed Information and Photos
Papaya Tree
Growing Papayas
🎉
🎄