List of Family House Rules for Cleaning

Does anyone know of a good list of printable home rules? My grandma used to have this hanging in her kitchen. I am thinking something, maybe a bit updated though, like: put your Xbox games away, load the dishwasher, etc.

By Lisa from Louisville, KY

I am fairly sure you remember your grandma's 'golden rule(s)' so why don't you just incorporate by writing down hers and adding a couple more of your own? The basic golden rule remains as:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

1. Tell the truth.

2. Treat each other with respect.

* no yelling

* no hitting

* no kicking

* no name-calling

* no put-downs

3. No arguing with parents.

*We want and value your input and ideas, but arguing means you have made your points more than once.

4. Respect each other's property.

*Ask permission to use something that doesn't belong to you.

5. Do what Mom and Dad say the first time.

*without complaining or throwing a fit!

6. Ask permission before you go somewhere.

7. Put things away that you take out.

8. Look for ways to be kind and helpful to each other.

~Taken from: ... great-family-rules-to-help-any-home/

I copied this out of a book and framed it and had it hanging on my wall for years. It is: "If God made you able to drop things on the floor, She also made you able to pick them up again." Don't remember the name of the book.

Is this what you remember?

You can download these templates and put whatever you like in them.

My idea came from Linda Blount, one of my two roommates when I was twenty-five. Linda was a great organizer of people and household tasks. Besides the foremost, overall rule, like "keep all personal items in your own space, in your room," she devised a great way to divide up the rest of the cleaning/housekeeping chores in a fair way.

She cut 2 large circles out of poster board paper or thicker construction paper, one larger than the other. She divided both by three, then wrote our names in each of the sections of the smaller circle. On the larger circle, divided by three, she listed all the chores and tasks necessary to run the house smoothly.

For instance, one section was Kitchen; listed underneath was clean counters, floor, window sill, etc. [We were to do all our own dishes and put our own food away.] Next section was bathrooms and third section was living/common area, with all tasks itemized. She then joined the concentric circles with a push pin and mounted it on the bulletin board.

Each week she dialed our names to a different third of the tasks, so it was fair to all. Linda said in her family, and other living situations, she used as many sections as there were members of the household.

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceSeptember 17, 2010
Training Cat with Treats
Tips for Training Your Dog or Cat
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
Family playing games.
Posting House Rules
A woman wearing a bike helmet.
Teaching Bike Safety