Getting Organized for the New Year

Here are some tips for getting organized for the New Year:

• Use file boxes and/or file cabinet drawers for paperwork.

• Make sure you have some kind of garbage and/or recycling bin in each room of your home.

• Use bookshelves for books you will read in the future and donate books that will just collect dust.

• I use bookshelves for DVDs, computer games, video games, and board games.

• I have a medium size basket under our coffee table that holds 3 projects, each neatly packaged into a gallon ziplock bag.

• On top of the coffee table is a small basket from the dollar store that holds remote controls and video game controllers. There is a box of kleenex, a candy dish, and some lotion. Otherwise it is clear.

• We have a living room chair with one of those side tables next to it that allows for magazines in the rack below it. I have a basket from the dollar store in the magazine rack and garbage goes straight into it instead of on the coffee table or elsewhere.

• I have a standing towel rack that came with our bathroom set and I use it in the living room for blanket throws.

• I use one of the bookshelves to store my laptop computer when I am not using it. There is an outlet nearby and it charges there.

• I turned our coat closet into a kitchen pantry, by asking my husband to make shelves inside it. I asked him to keep them spread far apart so I can put big bulky items from the warehouse store in it.

• If I am not going to use something, I throw it away or donate it. I don't let it sit and collect dust and get in my way. I control my home, not stuff!

• I use plastic shoe bins for my shoes and place them on the upper shelf in my closet. I use my closet by keeping my clothes hung up. I have a dresser and I use it by folding my clothes and putting them away.

• I use under the bed bins for misc. items that are used seasonally. I also use larger bins in our storage on our balcony.

• If I don't want to dust something, or if it is in the way, bothersome to me and my family, I get rid of it.

• I am sentimental and I keep things for that reason, but those things have a place on a shelf, in a cupboard or closet or bin.

• We have laundry hampers in both bedrooms and I do the laundry consistently and it is completed, not partially done. Clothes, towels etc. get folded or hung up and put away.

We have a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo. There are 3 of us and we are not cramped or cluttered.

By Carly34 from Lynnwood, WA

Wow, what a great organizer you are.

Lots of great ideas! I use some of these myself. I did read a tip about the space taken up by things we keep for sentimental reasons, which is to ask yourself if having a photo of the item would serve just as well. Alternatively, if you're saving things to serve as a reminder of a loved one who's not with you anymore, ask yourself if you could pare down the number of those things to just one or two. I know these suggestions wouldn't work for everyone, they're just food for thought!

Photo of organized kitchen cabinets.
Organizing Your Home
Organizing AdviceDecember 30, 2009
Traditional Greek sweet yeast bread
Recipes for Celebrating the New Year
Happy New Year Sign
Celebrating New Year's Eve
New Years Resolutions
Making New Year Resolutions
Get Organized
Step by Step Guide To Get Organized
🎄