How To Prevent Lettuce Rotting In The Fridge

How can I keep lettuce form rotting in fridge? The veggie bags with little holes are no longer on the market and I find the lettuce gets too wet in the veggie drawer.

Miriam from Southbury, CT

Wrap it loosely in paper towels, they will absorb moisture. Does your veggie crisper have a humidity control? If so, set it on lowest.

I store lettuce in a plain plastic bag and it keeps well. The other suggestion is to store it in a sealed plastic container.

My local health food store has a product labeled

EVERT-FRESH green bags I was having problems storing all veggies that are tender-- lettuce, green peppers, romaine. These bags have been a god-send-- and they really work.

good luck

I put lettuce in water - as with a cut flower - making sure the cut on the stalk has not sealed itself (if it has, I just renew the cut). The lettuce stays fresh. I just pull off leaves as I want them. I change or top up the water frequently.

I also put a paper towel in the plastic bag when storing and change it every day or so to keep the moisture from gathering. Seems to help.

I, too, put a paper towel in the bag with my lettuce. You might also try laying a section of folded newspaper in your veggie drawer to absorb excess moisture.

I hope u don't wash your lettuce before putting in the fridge? That is a no-no as it will foster rot. I have had success with keeping my head of lettuce wrapped tightly in tin foil between uses. Wash only as needed.

The original posting mentioned that they do not make the veggie bags with pin holes in them ... You can make your own by using your sewing machine (without thread of course) and stitch across the bag as many times as you want in a quilted pattern!

Ziploc quit making the vegetable bags quite awhile back!

Put a piece of burnt toast in the plastic bag with the lettuce. I saw this idea on a talk show.

I always remove the lettuce from the plastic, and wrap the lettuce in a moist cotton tea towel.. be sure to remove any excess water from the towel prior to wrapping.. This is also a good way to store left over salad..Just cover it with a damp tea towel, and place in the fridge.

Another tip to prolong the freshness of lettuce is to remove the core (the hard thing at the end) before storing it. It is best not to wash greens until you are ready to use them.

For years I have used the same process and foil trick that Mary Lou described and also do the same with celery. I find it works great since I live alone and don't use either of them very fast. I also never cut lettuce with a knife and just pinch off brown parts as needed. Turning the head upside-down and banging the core on the counter then twisting it out not only keeps form having to use a knife to remove it, which causes brown spots, but it also helps to get out your frustrations (knives and frustration are not a good combination). :)

You can still get Debbie Meyer green bags, bed bath and beyond is one of the stores, or Amazon.

Photo of different types of lettuce.
Keeping Lettuce Fresh
Food and Recipes StorageSeptember 11, 2007
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Iceberg Lettuce
Growing Iceberg Lettuce
Head of green leaf lettuce.
Washing Lettuce
Lettuce growing in a box.
Growing Lettuce
🎉
🎄