Twin Mattress for Large Dogs

We have two large dogs - 90 and 120 lbs. that sleep in our bedroom. After going though several dog beds (starting at $40 each times two), because of their size (they literally flattened the beds), I finally convinced my husband to buy a twin mattress.

What a difference! Not only is it holding up better, but it's easier to care for. I just put a mattress pad on it and use twin sheets as a cover. With my two I usually change sheets twice a week. Have you ever had to take the cover off a regular dog bed and wash it? I even made sheet covers for their other beds, but they still didn't protect as well as the mattress pad.

I periodically spray air freshener on the mattress and wash the mattress pad. As an added bonus, because my bed sets high off the ground, I can slid the dogs' bed underneath when needed.

By pdg from Davie, FL

Great idea. Even if you don't have really big dogs, but have several smaller dogs, this would be a good way for them to sleep. Our cat loves to sleep on our big air mattress...on top of a heavy satin coverlet too. A cat knows what's comfy, believe me. LOL.

Thanks for the twin mattress idea.

MisMachado

Just a thought but I think a crib mattress would work wonders as well.

Super idea!

When we first moved into our house there was a spare room that I put my mattress in while waiting to get an antique frame out of my storage unit. Well, needless to say, I can't get to the frame in the unit and my cat and 90lb dog have claimed the mattress. They look so cute that maybe I'm not trying all that hard to get the frame. ;-)

A friend of mine buys crib mattresses at garage sales for her big dogs. Their covering is washable since they need to be waterproof. But a twin for two big dogs to share is a great idea too.

I already won a Thrifty contest with this idea last year. I don't know if you can find my entry on this web site.

Editor's Note: Here is Gloria's winning entry from last year.

http://www.thri … 7753907.tip.html