DishesCleaning

Cleaning Dirty Stovetop Griddle

How do I clean a really dirty stove top griddle? We just bought a new house and the previous owners left it and never cleaned it.

Best Answer

Scrape it as clean as you can with a spatula then remove it (there should be a small handle up front but there are different brands of course so yours is probably different then mine)

soap it down with regular dish washing detergent & rinse.

If I have a lot of grease from bacon for instance I scrape it toward the back of the griddle where there is a small grease trap- I let the griddle cool off & when the grease is more solid I spoon it out into a can or bag & toss it into the trash (you definitely don't want to risk a clogged drain with grease) & normally I put the griddle on it's side on one of the sides of the bottom rack of the dishwasher to make sure it's clean & then put it back in the stove.

While it's out I often use a mini dust pan & brush but have also used a vaccum cleaner to get the crumbs & salt & so on out of the stove & wipe it out.

I just cleaned the vent cover over the oven, and used a trick I learned on a British TV show. Get washing soda {not baking soda} found normally in your laundry isle, near the borax. I put warm water and about a cup of the washing soda, soaked the vent cover, didn't need to scrub at all it came out brand new, actually I don't think it was this clean when it was new...hahaha. I also used a white rag with the mixture to clean the fan etc and it came out just as clean.

Best of Luck.

Kim

Get 'Greased Lightning'. It comes in a spray bottle and can be found just about anywhere (i.e. Wal-Mart). This product will break down and remove almost anything on any surface, even old baked-on greasy areas. It has become my one and only product.

Easy!! Buy and use a automotive degreaser. Just spray it on, let it sit a few minutes, then use a pot scrubber and it comes right off.

You may have already done this. But after cleaning cast iron very well, I coat whole pan or griddle with oil and put in the oven on low tempeture for a couple hours. If this is a new pan this may have to be done several times the first year. Same goes for a very rusted cast iron pan that you need to really scrub to clean. Usually when using cast iron all you should do to clean it is wipe with a paper towel unless you have something major burnt on it. If you do have to actually wash pan then a good coating of oil is recommended. I coat and put on the burner till all water is evaporated.