Chicken Manicotti

This is an absolutely delicious recipe. Looks elegant and it's surprisingly easy.

• 3/4 cup tomato juice
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 tsp. oregano
  • 1/4 tsp. marjoram
  • 1/4 tsp. basil
  • pepper
  • 2 whole large boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 4 oz. low-fat cottage cheese
  • 2 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:

Heat tomato juice, garlic, 3/4 of seasoning, and pepper to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

On cutting board, pound chicken to 1/4 inch thick and set aside. In small bowl mix cottage cheese and the rest of the seasoning.

Spoon cheese mixture onto chicken and roll up jelly-roll fashion. In bottom of 10x6 inch pan, spoon 1/2 of the tomato mixture, then put chicken on top seam-side down. Top with remaining sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until chicken is done.

Source: The American Heart Association Cook Book

By lynjohnson from Plant City, FL

That sounds good! Going to have to try that one!

How do I use 3/4ths of seasoning?

I am also confused about the 3/4ths :-( Please bear with those of us who don't know exactly how to figure out how much 3/4th of 3/4th is :-( What about the manicotti? Just a suggestion but this recipe would be tastier with ricotta cheese that is equal to or lower in fat than low fat cottage cheese.

I made this and it was delicious!! I just used all the seasoning in the tomato juice and then added a bit more to the cottage cheese. I will beg to differ with you Deeli on using the ricotta cheese versus the cottage cheese. I may be one of the few people who do not like ricotta cheese. It tastes too sweet to me. I prefer cottage cheese. I just had a salad with it and it was really tasty.

Thanks for letting me know you just put all of the spices in the tomato juice and then added more to the cottage cheese and it turned out not being overpowering, Laniegirl. That's definitely a lot easier than trying to figure out what an exact amount 3/4ths of 3/4ths of spices are. :-) I am not a huge fan of ricotta either but for a manicotti recipe I have found it's less runny and my personal preference is a tad bit more sweet with tomato based pasta dishes.

Lyn, I was asking before how much manicotti you're supposed to use but perhaps you meant chicken with 'manicotti sauce' instead?

Thanks for the delicious recipe. I followed the directions exactly and wouldn't change a thing. We have 4 children (3 girls picky eaters) and it was a healthy hit!

Sorry about the late replies to all of your responses. I'm new to this! As to the 3/4's of seasonings just measure them and save a "pinch" out. :) I made this several times and don't recall being too technical with it. For Deeli: The chicken is the manicotti. The filling is wrapped in the chicken. Hope this helps. I found this recipe in the American Heart Association Cook Book and was surprised it was so nice.

A photo of prepared Manicotti
Manicotti Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes PastasFebruary 6, 2011
Chicken a la King in puff pastry shell
Chicken A' La King Recipes
Fried Chicken
Canning Fried Chicken
Tetrazzini Recipes, Chicken Tetrazzini
Chicken Tetrazzini Recipes
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume
🎉
🎄