Stevia Plant Information

What is the edible part of a stevia plant?

By Theresa from Wichita, KS

Hope this helps you:

I was wondering the same thing cause I like to juice leaves & stem, but I hope I'm not creating health problems by doing this. I've read that the young stems are edible. So this is what I usually use.

June 12, 2010 Flag

I am looking for Stevia plant growing and processing information. I'd like to have the chance to grow the stevia plant and make good use of it to replace sugar consumption. How can I go about doing that?

Han Rrinh from San Jose

Stevia Plant Information

I hope this is what you need from this site:"

Stevia rebaudiana, a tender perennial in the daisy family, is 150 to 400 times s sweet as sugar, but has 1/300th of sugar's calories! For hundreds of years, the Guarana Indians and others in stevia's native Paraguay have used the leaves to sweeten bitter, caffeine-rich mate' and many other beverages.

In the 1970's, Japanese companies tested stevia for food safety and began using it as a sweetener. By now it is an ingredient in more than seventy Japanese food products, including candy, ice cream, yogurt, fruit drinks, gum, soy sauce, and Japanese pickles. The sweet herb of Paraguay is also widely used in South Korea, Thailand, the People's Republic of China, and Brazil.

In the U.S. however, stevia is intermittently available in health food stores, where it is sold in bulk as powder. The Food and Drug Administration has classified it as a food additive rather than a food, and as such, it is considered unsafe until proven safe. It must undergo extensive toxicological tests before it can be approved for food use. But no company is willing to pay for tests, because stevia exists in nature and cannot be patented (unlike such additives such as NutraSweet). If stevia were approved by the FDA, all companies would have equal access, and no one company could make big profit on the herb.

Fortunately, Pacific Northwest gardeners can now grow stevia in their home gardens. It is completely legal both to grow stevia and sell it to home gardeners and also to grow it in home gardens.

Stevia is a fast-growing tender perennial that grows during the summer from a rooted cutting to a large, sturdy, bright green bush, 3 to 4 feet wide and 3 to 4 feet tall. Stevia thrives in full sun and well-drained soil. It needs to dry out between waterings; its roots rot if they stay too moist. When the plants develop flower buds, pinch the flowers off as you would with basil. If stevia plants are allowed to flower, they droop then become dormant.

After you have harvested the last stevia leaves of the season, cut the plants back hard, leaving a few leaves on each branch, and grow them indoors in pots during the winter. Grow them in the sunniest window you can find, and make sure to water them only when the soil feels dry.

Stevia leaves are delicious fresh or dried in hot iced teas. You can freeze fresh stevia leaves in ice cubes, and use them to cool and sweeten iced teas, juices, and sodas. Stevia's flavor is stable when it is cooked, so you can use it in jams and canned fruits, and in cakes, cookies, and other cooked desserts. For cooking, stevia is most often used powdered or as a syrup concentrate. Stevia leaves are easy to dry and crumble into powder, and they hold their bright green color when dry. Home-grown stevia tastes much better than store-bought, because most stevia available in health food stores is made of stems as well as leaves.

Stevia has many health benefits. It provides a natural, good-tasting sweetener for people who are diabetic and for people who want to loose or control their weight. Also, some studies have shown that it contains substances that inhibit tooth decay and plaque formation,- a sweetener that is good for your teeth! And other studies show that stevia increases mental alertness, decreases fatigue, improves digestion, regulates blood pressure, and eases hypoglycemia.

Despite such a wide range of health benefits, it is difficult to say when stevia will be approved by the FDA and become widely available in American food. Until that day comes, you can have a plentiful and delicious local source, your own garden.

By Designersheets

Stevia Plant Information

I was not happy with the taste in coffee. (02/13/2007)

By chml

Stevia Plant Information

Go to I got good growing and harvesting info there. (04/30/2007)

By Beverly

Growing and Harvesting Stevia
Growing and Harvesting Stevia
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingJune 12, 2010
Europe on a globe.
Plant Hardiness Zones for France
Sun Star Plant
Caring for a Sun Star Plant
Potted Rosemary plant.
Keeping Track of Plant Information
Stevia Leaves
Stevia Leaves Turning Brown