Black Rust Like Stain on Mirror

What causes a black rust like stain to appear on my bathroom mirror? It seems to permeate right through the glass.

By JoAnn H.

It may be the backing is failing and needs to be resilvered.

Are you sure it isn't a hard water stain or mold?

It sounds like the "silver" backing is coming off. It can be re-done or replace the mirror part or the mirror itself if it is a cheap one. One tip for future reference on new mirrors: Don't ever spray the mirror directly with cleaning solutions. Spray it on the cloth or paper you are using to clean with. This is what causes (for the most part) the backing to come off. It seeps down in the corners and edges, stays moist and then begins to destroy the backing.

It sounds like the backing is coming off. One cause of this is spraying mirrors directly when you clean them. It is best to spray the cloth or paper you use, not the mirror. When you spray the mirror directly, it can seep down in the corners and edges, staying there and causing eventual damage.

I have only ever seen this problem with very old mirrors. Is this a new mirror, or an antique one? I agree that it is likely the backing coming off.

I spray all my mirrors directly, and have for years. I don't have a problem, but thriftyvicki may be right. I don't spray so much on that it drips all over.