Styrofoam Stars

Make Styrofoam plates into cute hanging stars after rinsing and letting dry (or brushing off crumbs). I used a stencil of a star for my patterns and cut these out using craft scissors. They are strung on regular sewing thread with a few beads at the top.
This is the result of only 2 plates!

By melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

This is a great use for plates that otherwise can't be recycled. Well done! I wonder if they would take luminous paint?

Marg from England.

I love this I'm going to make them and expand on the idea. Paint them and glitter them and decorate the Christmas tree. Paint them red, white and blue for 4th of July, Labor Day, Memorial Day, picnic decorations. Use them instead of streamers for childrens parties.

Great idea I love it!

nineleven47 :: I'm glad you like this idea! I love that you want to expand on it too! Styrofoam is pretty durable so even some stitch work, which springboards me to using these as sewing cards for little kids to take as "quiet" games for car rides or in church! Little books could even be fashioned with all styro-plate pages sewn together with colorful yarn or cord or ribbons with little drawings or an alphabet book perhaps! They do break though, given the effort but could be replaced easily & inexpensively enough. Exciting !

jehosophat jones :: It would cost only the effort to find out! After using one try it on the back "just in case", if it fails you still have your plate for 2nds or desert! My guess is yes, especially if the paint/marker is permanent somehow!

Utterly adorable! I'd love to make some, but it's almost always windy here, often with storms and very high winds, so my decorations always get ruined. Maybe I can use them indoors!

Very cute idea! I love it! I really enjoy making things out trash, lol!

Great idea, love the idea of painting the stars! There is also a great article on how to paint styrofoam. Thank you to everyone for posting their springboard ideas. I'm always amazed by what I can learn on this site.