Tomato Soup Recipes

A bowl of tomato soup with crackers.

Tomato soup is a delicious, yet simple soup to make. Making your own tomato soup gives you the opportunity to experiment with a variety of tomatoes to find the perfect flavor. This page contains tomato soup recipes.

Read and rate the best recipes below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Recipe: Homemade Tomato Soup

So Easy and comes out every time.

• 2 cups tomato juice
  • 4 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. minced onion (optional)
  • 1 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda

Melt butter and stir in flour. Keep your heat down low.

Add tomato juice, I like to use my thick home canned juice, blend in with flour mixture.

Add soda and minced onion. Bring to simmer and heat 5 minutes.

Add milk, heat thoroughly and serve.

Source: My Mother

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

Recipe: Fresh Tomato Basil Soup

An easy supper using the fresh summer bounty!

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 2 servingsbowl of tomato soup

• 4 cups tomatoes, diced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 Tbsp fresh basil, minced
  • 1 Tbsp garlic salt
  • 1 Tbsp sugar (optional)

1. Add the onion and tomatoes to the chicken stock, bring to a boil.
  2. Simmer on low for 20 minutes, adding remaining ingredients. Add additional seasoning if desired (I didn't).
  3. Let cool. Whirl with an immersion blender.
  4. Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches on the side.

Link: triingforbalance.blogspot.com

By Rae G. [16]

Recipe: Homemade Basil Tomato Soup

Basil tomato soup with grilled cheese

I made this fresh tomato soup using only a couple of days harvest of heirloom tomatoes (7 lbs!) from this year's garden. I also grew the basil, garlic and zucchini. I thought it turned out really well. It was even better the next day.

If you don't want to make such a big batch, just scale down the ingredients. This type of soup is very forgiving so I bet you could add in any other herbs or veggies that you may have on hand.

Approximate Time: 3

Yield: 12

• 12 cups tomatoes, chopped
  • 4 cups onions (2), diced
  • 4 Tbsp garlic (1 head), minced
  • 1 cup celery (2), diced
  • 1 cup carrots (2), diced
  • 1 cup zucchini (1), diced
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cans (6 oz) tomato paste
  • 1 qt liquid (water or stock)
  • 1 cup basil, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
  • salt and pepper to taste
Garden tomatoes being chopped for soup

1. Heat olive oil at a medium heat in a heavy bottomed pot. Add onions and cook for a few minutes, then add minced garlic. Cook mixture until the onions are softened but not brown, stirring often.
  2. Add celery, carrot and zucchini. Cook about 5 minutes until softened, then add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and cider vinegar.
  3. Add liquid to make soup like consistency (about 1 qt.) and stir well. Heat mixture to just a boil, making sure not to allow bottom to scorch.
  4. Tomato soup in process
  5. Turn heat to low and keep soup on a simmer for about an hour. The longer it cooks, the more broken down the tomatoes and vegetables will be.
  6. When soup is done, remove from heat. Add chopped basil. Use an immersion blender to process the basil, tomatoes and vegetables into a slightly chunky consistancy. You can also use a blender, just be sure to remove but cover the top to allow the steam to vent. Add salt and pepper to taste.

By Jess [121]

We served up some grilled cheese sandwiches to round out our lunch. I garnished the soup with some more chopped basil and parmesan cheese. It would be great with crunchy cheese croutons too. My husband thought it would have made a great pasta sauce if we had cooked it down for longer.

By Jess

Recipe: Tomato Soup

• 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 4 lbs. tomatoes, or 3 (28 oz.) cans tomatoes
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 tsp. thyme
  • 1/2 tsp. mint
  • 1/2 tsp. basil
  • pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • pepper, to taste

Saute onion in oil in large saucepan until softened. Add remaining ingredients. Cook, uncovered, over low heat for 20 minutes or until tomatoes have softened and liquid has reduced. Remove bay leaves. Puree soup in blender. Return to saucepan. Cook until creamy. Serve hot.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Recipe: Cold Vegetable Tomato Soup

This is an ideal recipe for summer!

• 4 cups of tomato juice divided
  • 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
  • 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and cut into large pieces
  • 1 medium size green pepper, chopped in large pieces
  • 1 medium size red pepper, cut in four pieces
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 4 cups cubed bread with crust removed
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable or olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp. of pepper
  • salt, to taste

1. In a blender, cover and process a cup of tomato juice with half of the tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onion, thyme, and garlic until chopped. Pour in a large bowl or container. Repeat.
  2. Place vinegar and remaining juice in the blender. Add the bread; cover and process until smooth. Add to the vegetable mixture; stir in oil , pepper, and salt.
  3. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Garnish with sour cream, croutons, and parsley (optional).

Happy tasting!

By Raymonde from North Bay, Ontario

Recipe: Tomato Soup For Canning

• 1/2 bushel tomatoes (bushel=50lb.)
  • 7 large onions
  • 12 sprigs parsley
  • 12 bay leaves
  • 12 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. pepper
  • 1/2 lb. butter or margarine
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup flour

Wash and clean tomatoes; cut out stems and any bad parts. Cut in halves or quarters and add onions, parsley, and bay leaves; cook 2 hours and strain. Heat together and blend well the salt, pepper, butter, sugar, and flour; add tomato mixture and simmer 1/2 hour. Pour into sterilized jars and process 45 minutes in water bath or 5 minutes in pressure cooker at 15 pounds pressure. Makes 7 quarts or more if tomatoes are juicy.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Recipe: Homegrown Tomato Soup

• 12-15 medium large tomatoes
  • 2 white onions
  • 6-8 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 1/4 cups beef stock or bouillon
  • 1/2 tsp. onion salt
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
  • salt and pepper
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 4-5 slices of bacon, cut into 2 inch pieces
  • 6 Tbsp. butter
  • 6 Tbsp. flour
  • dash of sugar and paprika

Peel tomatoes by dropping into boiling water until skins crack (about 1 minutes). Slice onions; put tomatoes, onions, and celery in big pot. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add bouillon, salts, pepper, bay leaves, oregano and bacon and cook slowly, covered, for several hours. Midway through cooking, mash everything well with a potato masher. When ready to serve, strain soup, discarding pulp. Melt butter, add flour. Add to soup and bring to a boil to thicken. Add dash of sugar and paprika to soup while it is thickening.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Recipe: Tomato Sip

• 5 cans condensed beef bouillon, undiluted
  • 6 1/4 cup canned tomato juice
  • 5 lemon sliced
  • 15 whole cloves
  • 1/4 tsp. dried basil
  • 1 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/4 tsp. sugar

In large saucepan, combine bouillon, tomato juice, lemon, cloves, basil; simmer 5 minutes, strain. stir in salt and sugar. Serve hot in mugs or cups. Each guest can help himself to some shredded Cheddar cheese or any other topping you would care to have available. This is great to serve before dinner when you entertain guests during the winter months.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Recipe: Sadie's Soup -1940

Brown one medium onion in bacon fat. Add to one large can of tomato juice and one regular size can of cut/chopped tomatoes. Add bite sized pieces of potatoes, (use about 5 medium sized potatoes). Simmer until potaoes are tender. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with soda crackers (saltines).

This is a simple but filling soup and is sooo good on cold winter days. Comfort food from my childhood.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

Tomato Bisque Recipes

bowl of soupThis page contains tomato bisque recipes. A rich, creamy soup can be prepared at home with chunky or crushed tomatoes and seasonings.

Recipe: Cold Tomato Soup

This is a fun, delicious soup to make! Very good flavor with a bit of a bite to it!

Approximate Time: 30-40 minutes

Yield: 8-10 servings.

• 1 (46 oz.) can tomato juice ($1.89)
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce ($pennies)
  • 2 tsp lemon juice ($pennies)
  • 1/2 tsp salt ($pennies)
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder ($pennies)
  • 1 bay leaf ($pennies)
  • 1/2 cup celery, diced ($pennies)
  • 1/4 cup green pepper ($pennies)
  • 1 medium onion ($.50)
  • 1 medium cucumber ($.50)

1. Simmer tomato juice, Worcetershire sauce, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, and bay leaf 15 minutes. Cool thoroughly.
  2. Add diced ingredients. Chill.
  3. Serve cold in glasses with cracker to accompany, if you so desire.

By Robin [5893]

Recipe: Fresh Tomato Soup

This is especially good using homegrown tomatoes in the summer, but it's still good with store bought tomatoes as well. You can even use canned tomatoes. Very yummy and good for you!

• 4 medium size tomatoes, washed and quartered
  • 1 Tbsp. minced onion
  • 1/2 bay leaf
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 tsp. sugar

Wash and quarter tomatoes. Add rest of ingredients. Simmer 10 minutes; rub through a sieve. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in saucepan; add 2 tablespoons flour. Add the hot tomato puree. Heat to boiling. Add salt and pepper, to taste and 1 teaspoon sugar. Serve at once.

Servings: 6-8
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Recipe: 4 Portion Tomato Soup

This recipe is less than $1.00 per serving.

• 1 tin of tomatoes (28 oz.)
  • 1 cooking onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 stock cube
  • 1 pint water (16 oz.)
  • tomato ketchup
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 tsp. basil (or to taste)

Chop and fry onion/garlic until soft, add tin tomatoes, stock cube, water. Blend until smooth, put back on heat, add salt, pepper, ketchup to taste. Stir in basil.

By Julie from Birmingham, England

Share Your Feedback: Have you tried this recipe? Do you have your own variation which you would like to share? Click "Share a Recipe" above!

Here are questions related to Tomato Soup Recipes.

Question: Homemade Chunky Tomato Soup Recipe

I am looking for a recipe for homemade tomato soup. It has chunks of tomato in it. I had to pick all my tomatoes as it is supposed to be frosty tonight! Thank you.

By Susan from Vernon, BC Canada

Most Recent Answer

By Ann Winberg [306]09/24/2010

If you have too many to use right away, I would stew them and can them for future use. Just slip the skins in hot water, then slice the tomatoes into quarters and stew until tender. I can them in pints so I can use them in soups or just for stewed tomatoes for the two of us.
My favorite tomato soup recipe is as follows-

2 C tomato juice or stewed tomatoes
4 T butter
1 t salt
1 1/2 C milk
1/4 C flour
1/4 t soda
1 T minced onion (optional)

Melt butter, add flour and stir. Add tomatoes, blending with the flour mixture. Add soda and minced onion. Return to heat and cook for 5 minutes. Add milk, heat and serve.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Tomato Soup Recipe

My mom used to make a Tomato Soup with canned tomatoes, milk and baking soda. I remember something that the milk had to be just the right temp and before she added the tomatoes. Does anyone know how to make it this way? Mary from Michigan

RE: Tomato Soup Recipe

I make homemade tomato soup with canned tomatoes all the time. I love tomato soup and grilled cheese for a quick lunch. I put my tomatoes into a sauce pan and heat them until they just start to simmer (low boil). I then add a pinch or 2 of baking soda to neutralize the acidity of the tomatoes. It will foam slightly and that tells you it is working. Add milk and heat again to simmer, add salt and pepper maybe a little butter or any other seasonings you prefer. Taste and adjust seasoning and serve hot. Hope you enjoy (12/30/2005)

By Donna

RE: Tomato Soup Recipe

Homemade Tomato Soup

"Very quick and flavorful!"

Submitted By: Bob Drury

1 lb. home canned or tin canned whole tomatoes
2 cups milk
2 Tbls butter or margarine
1/8 tsp soda salt and pepper to taste

Directions: Place tomatoes in 1 qt pan. Put milk and butter in separate pan, begin heating both--do not boil. When tomatoes are hot-not boiling stir in 1/8 tsp soda and stir. Pour into milk and stir. Remove from heat. Season to taste. This can be doubled or tripled if desired, but soda does not have to be increased.

Prep time: 10 minutes Tomato Soup Recipe cook time: 10 minutes

Was this what you were looking for? (12/30/2005)

By Corky

RE: Tomato Soup Recipe

Back in the "old days" they used to call this soup Tomato bisque. My mom amd grandmom used to make it all the time. It's just milk, tomato soup a dash of soda and canned tomatoes, do not let your milk get to a boil. Just a simmer. Add salt, and pepper to taste. We never really had a recipe for it just eyeball how much you want to make and go from there. WE used one can of tomatoes to two cans tomato soup and two cans milk . (12/31/2005)

By Megan's mom

Archive: Homemade Tomato Soup

• 2 Tbsp. margarine
  • 3 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 Tbsp. minced onion
  • 2 tsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 2 cups tomato juice
  • 2 cups milk

Melt margarine; add flour, onion, sugar, salt, pepper and 1 cup tomato juice. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick. Remove from heat. Blend in 1 more cup tomato juice and 2 cups milk. Heat until hot enough to serve, but do not boil. Add a pinch of soda at the last.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Archive: Tomato Soup Recipe

I would like a simple recipe for tomato (or cream of tomato) soup. It cannot have beef or chicken broth, or any meat or meat-by-product in it. Thanks!

Maryeileen from Brooklyn OH

RE: Tomato Soup Recipe

As a long-time vegetarian, I love to cook soups without benefit of any meat products. Lipton Onion soup packets make a great start, water, canned stewed tomatoes (or fresh, if you have), cabbage, sliced thin, onions, carrots .... Place all in a large pot, simmer for an hour and it's just the nicest meal going. I've also got a great gazpacho recipe (my favourite snack). (10/05/2006)

By wordswork

RE: Tomato Soup Recipe

In reference to making homemade Cream Of Tomato soup, here is a saying that will help your tomato soup not to curdle: "Add Red to White and You Will Never Be Blue". In other words, heat the tomatoes and milk in separate pans. Add the hot tomatoes to the milk so it will not curdle. Got it? In essence, if you add the hot tomatoes to the hot milk, you won't be sad with the results as it will not curdle. (10/06/2006)

By Linda from PA

RE: Tomato Soup Recipe

I'm sorry but I equate Tomato Soup with all childhood illnesses! LOL My mom and grandmother knew of NO other food than this when I was ill. I haven't had more than two cans since I became an adult. I've tried to get over this, but this association is imprinted in my brain, so I avoid any thought of eating Tomato Soup although it MAY have helped to keep me well? This MIGHT not have happened to me had they alternated with TYPES of soups, a good tip for moms!

God bless mothers who nurse their sick children with soups, a proven food to feed them MOST of the time. : ) (10/08/2006)

By lyndagayle62

RE: Tomato Soup Recipe

Tomato soup without milk/cream
  • 1 qt. tomatoes crushed or blended (or tomato juice)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • pat of butter (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda*
*This takes the acid out and is not really needed unless you add milk/cream.

Bring tomatoes to a boil remove from heat. Add baking soda (use a deep pan as this will foam up). As soon as foam settles, eat up!

For creamy tomato soup, just add milk or cream to the above (after you've done the soda) till the consistency you like. Reheat if needed from the cold milk (10/09/2006)

By Carla

RE: Tomato Soup Recipe

• 5 cups peeled,seeded + chopped tomatoes
  • 1 med. onion chopped
  • 2 tsp. sugar
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • dash paprika
  • dash pepper
  • 2 tbsp. margarine
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • dash pepper
  • 2 cups milk
In saucepan combine tomatoes, onion, sugar, 3/4 tsp. salt, paprika and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer gently for 10 minutes. Press mixture through a sieve. In separate saucepan melt margarine. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook stirring over low heat until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Slowly add milk. Return to heat. Cook and stir until smooth and thick. Add hot tomato puree, stirring constantly to keep from separating. Heat almost to boiling. Serve at once.

My family really likes this soup, it is a bit of work but very good. (10/14/2006)

By gigik

RE: Tomato Soup Recipe

Thanks to all, especially Carla and gigik! (10/15/2006)

By Maryeileen

Archive: Homemade Tomato Soup

I know what's in it and there is no preservatives.

Archive: Tomato Soup

• 4 cups tomato juice
  • 1/2 head shredded cabbage
  • 1 finely chopped onion
  • 4 stalks chopped celery
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • dash oregano

Bring tomato juice to a boil; then reduce to simmer. Add cabbage and simmer 1 hour. Add seasonings and serve.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Archive: Tomato Soup

In a skillet fry bacon crisp. Crumble bacon and reserve. Save 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings in skillet.