Defrost Frozen Vegetables Before Cooking

When preparing dinner in the evening, I go about all the typical kitchen tasks during the prep time until I realize that the water at the kitchen sink has finally gotten nice and hot. At that time I pour the desired amount of any frozen vegetable that I plan to serve (not one with sauces) into a colander, set the colander into a bowl, and add hot water.

I rinse the vegetables until they are broken apart and then let the vegetable sit in the hot water while I continue cooking the meal. When I am ready to cook them (usually in the microwave), I drain the vegetables, pour them into the same bowl and add a very small amount of water (you can add whatever you typically would at this point).

The vegetables are almost cooked by this time so it takes a fraction of the cooking time and dinner will be ready even quicker. This has worked just fine so far with green beans, corn, broccoli, and mixed vegetables.

By Anne Michelle from Windsor, CT

What a great idea! Your veggies would be done when the rest of the meal is ready and would have been cooked a fraction of time. You loose less nutrients this way and save electricity with the shorter cooking time. Thanks for a great tip! Trish

If I'm understanding this correctly, it seems like a huge waster of water, couldn't you just let time defrost the vegetables or put them on "defrost" in the microwave for a few seconds?

I think simply microwaving or cooking the veggies on the stove would be more appealing and safer than using hot water and soaking the veggies in it. Hot water contains undesirables that I would not want my food soaking in.