SeafoodFood Tips

Thawing Shrimp

How do you thaw shrimp?

Kathy from Indiana

Anonymous

I simply place them in a colander, run cold water over them and let them sit. Within just a few short minutes they are thawed. The amount of time depends on the size of the shrimp and whether they are shelled or not.

Be sure to use them within the first day after thawing.

If you're interested in a homemade cocktail sauce that is awesome just click the contact button and I'll send it to you. I usually make extra because it stays fresh in the fridge for about a month.

I put them in my steamer over boiling water. In no time they are ready.

Within 15 minutes of taking out of the freezer, they should be well on their way of thawing. I buy only GREEN shrimp (raw) and by the time I rinse them quickly, set a kettle of water to bring to a boil, toss them into it and boil for 30 seconds, the process is complete.

Drain, rinse in cold water then pop the shells off them. I toss them under the broiler again with some kosher salt or flavored salts/herbs and take out about 2-3 minutes later. They are SOOOOO good. I eat them as is, no sauce, dressing for me. The broiled factor brings out such sweetness flavor from the shrimp.

Thaw them in cool water with a tablespoon of baking soda. After they are slightly thawed rinse in a collander and again cover with mild/cool water. Add another teaspoon soda. Rinse well when thawed.

Rather than running them under cool water, I fill a bowl with room-temperature, not cold, water and just place the shrimp into it for about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and they should be finished thawing by the time you have the cocktail sauce dished out. If you'll be delayed, put them in a covered food keeper and put them into the fridge until you need them. Don't delay, though. I have a really easy recipe for a shrimp sauce over linguine that my husband loved! I'll post it in a minute. Hope this helps you.

Never run water over shrimp to thaw them. You'll be losing half the flavor down the drain. I work in a seafood restaurant and we thaw them in the refidgerator for a few hours until we need to prepare them.

Sandy

Anonymous

Not trying to be mean but it didn't sit well with me for safety reasons knowing a restuarant didn't rinse the shrimp ...

The only way the flavor changes is if you're soaking in salt water ... Restuarants thaw in the refridgerator because they are cooking multiple meals and it's easy and quick for them to have them already thawed but they should still be rinsed ...

I have two friends who have been chefs for a couple of decades and just called one of them and asked about it to make sure I wasn't posting something I wasn't positive about ... He said that you should always rinse shrimp just like you would regular fish or poultry to make sure there is no bacteria and was surprised a restuarant didn't ...

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. I had read something on the Internet that you had to thaw shrimp in the fridge, and I wanted to make sure it was ok to thaw in water, etc. :)