AdviceGardening

Hummingbird Vine Not Blooming

Question:

I have had a hummingbird vine planted now for 2 years. It has grown to the maximum, but unfortunately it hasn't bloomed in the 2 years I have had it. Do you have any idea why it possibly hasn't bloomed at all since I've had the plant? Do you think I may need to trim it back some? My mother had planted one at the same time as I did and hers hasn't bloomed yet either. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Sincerely,
Diana from Newville, PA

Answer:

Dianna,

There are a number of reasons your hummingbird vine isn't blooming. I'm going to assume your talking about Campsis radicans, also sometimes called trumpet creeper or trumpet vine. My first guess is that it's simply too young. These are fast-growing vines (foliage wise), but they usually don't start fully flowering until they are 5-7 years old. You'll probably see some light flowering before then, but it might take another year or two. When the vines are young, they are putting all of their effort into getting established and growing in size. Once they settle in well, they will switch gears and start to put energy into flowering. The fact that your mom's vine, which was planted at the same time, still hasn't flowered, only confirms this.

Don't worry about cutting it back unless it starts to grow out of control. Also, don't go overboard on nitrogen fertilizers or you will get an abundance of leaves, but no flowers. If you fertilize at all (personally, I wouldn't) do so only lightly in the spring. Also, avoid fertilizing your lawn near the location of your vine. Trumpet vines are very sensitive to excess nitrogen. Don't worry about prunning any new growth unless things start to grow out of control and make sure your vine is in a location that receives at least 6-8 hours of sun per day. If you're patient, Mother Nature will undoubtedly reward you with blooms, but not until she's good and ready.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

You might want to Google Trumpet Vine ... lots of info. Check this out http://en.wikip  ki/Trumpet_vine.

We have had one for so long and you can't kill it ... little plants keep springing up in the grasses around.

We have loads of hummingbirds. We are the MD/DC area.

Trumpet vine is a wild plant and grows great here.

I WOULD LIKE TO KILL IT OUT IN ONE PLACE THAT i HAVE IT , CAN YOU TELL ME HOW.

THANK YOU