Hummingbird Vine Not Blooming

Question:

I have had a hummingbird vine planted now for 2 years. It has grown to the maximum, but unfortunately it hasn't bloomed in the 2 years I have had it. Do you have any idea why it possibly hasn't bloomed at all since I've had the plant? Do you think I may need to trim it back some? My mother had planted one at the same time as I did and hers hasn't bloomed yet either. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Sincerely,
Diana from Newville, PA

Answer:

Dianna,

There are a number of reasons your hummingbird vine isn't blooming. I'm going to assume your talking about Campsis radicans, also sometimes called trumpet creeper or trumpet vine. My first guess is that it's simply too young. These are fast-growing vines (foliage wise), but they usually don't start fully flowering until they are 5-7 years old. You'll probably see some light flowering before then, but it might take another year or two. When the vines are young, they are putting all of their effort into getting established and growing in size. Once they settle in well, they will switch gears and start to put energy into flowering. The fact that your mom's vine, which was planted at the same time, still hasn't flowered, only confirms this.

Don't worry about cutting it back unless it starts to grow out of control. Also, don't go overboard on nitrogen fertilizers or you will get an abundance of leaves, but no flowers. If you fertilize at all (personally, I wouldn't) do so only lightly in the spring. Also, avoid fertilizing your lawn near the location of your vine. Trumpet vines are very sensitive to excess nitrogen. Don't worry about prunning any new growth unless things start to grow out of control and make sure your vine is in a location that receives at least 6-8 hours of sun per day. If you're patient, Mother Nature will undoubtedly reward you with blooms, but not until she's good and ready.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Showing: Answers Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

You might want to Google Trumpet Vine ... lots of info. Check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trumpet_vine.

We have had one for so long and you can't kill it ... little plants keep springing up in the grasses around.

We have loads of hummingbirds. We are the MD/DC area.

Trumpet vine is a wild plant and grows great here.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I WOULD LIKE TO KILL IT OUT IN ONE PLACE THAT i HAVE IT , CAN YOU TELL ME HOW.

THANK YOU

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceAugust 9, 2006
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A glass hummingbird feeder.
Making a Hummingbird Feeder
HummingbirdFeeder
Protecting a Hummingbird Feeder from Rain
Trumpet Vine Seed Pods
Starting a Trumpet Vine From Seed Pods
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:49:22 PM on 10.0.0.140 in 876 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings