Repairing Lawn After Excavating Broken Water Main

Recently, we were in need of emergency excavation on our property. This was due to a water main break. This was a first time experience for us. So the proper precautions were not taken.

My question is, "How to remove excess excavation soil from our already established lawn bed". This was a mid winter, wet, icy, and muddy mess. Now I have a 20 square foot area of leftover caked earth aproximately less than 1 to 1/2 inch deep. It is located, adjacent to the 10 foot trench, which is about 3 to 4 inches lower than the lawn area around it.

My goal is to return as much soil to the trench as possible. Hopefully I can do this prior to topping the trench off with new soil and re-seeding the trench area. I am in the process of raking the area to remove the caked soil from the now re-emerging grass.

Does anyone have any other solutions? Thanks.

By BS Yarg from New England (Northeast) USA

Answers

Sounds like you are doing the right thing, good luck.

I have the same problem, had a new sewer line put in 10 ft deep and 50 ft long, after paying the contractor the $10,000. they told me they only finish to a rough grade. now I have a 3 ft hole at one end and 3 ft high at the other 50 ft end, in my front yard. Only I can't move this dirt and level it out, I am to old to do it. But who does this kind of work for me, and re plants all new plants and grass they tore out?

Home and Garden Gardening LawnMarch 16, 2010
A broken green dish in several pieces
Reusing Broken Dishes
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
Patchy unhealthy lawn.
Homemade Lawn Fertilizer Recipes
Child's hand picking an English daisy in the lawn.
Alternatives to Having a Lawn
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 3:46:54 AM on 10.0.1.80 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.