Our bathroom is growing nasty black mold and I'm not sure what to do. There is hardly any ventilation only a small window at shoulder height which we open as much as we can. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you resolve it? If anyone can offer any advice - even about a good way to get rid of this yucky mess I'd be so grateful. Many thanks in advance.
Some bleach and water should do the trick. Just make sure that the room is well ventilated. We had a small patch of mold that showed up in the corner of our shower. I sprayed the ceiling with a mixture of bleach and water and it took care of the problem.
Marge from NY
As Marge from NY said you can use bleach to kill the mould. To prevent it coming back you are to have to remove the moisture - either with more ventilation or maybe using a dehumidifier. Otherwise it will come back if there is too much moisture.
If the mold is on the walls, you might have a water leak inside the wall. Black mold is dangerous for your health and breathing, so be careful dealing with it. Also a dehumidifier may help slow the growth since there is no ventilation.
black mold is very bad for your lungs, please take some THE WORKS, from big lots and apply with a big cloth leave the bath and do not be in the area for a few hours.... shower off the walls and that should take care of it . the works only cost 1.00 at big lots..... use fast and go shopping while it works......
Something that as work great for me is to put a double fan in the window.
this is what I mean: http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/419MMFEX2ML.jpg
It doesn't quite fit in my tiny window so it's sideways but it still gets the moisture out since you can set it on reverse and it pushes air OUT the window.
Even works better than a dehumidifier.
After you get the mold problem taken care of, here's what I do. I have a fan in the hall blowing fresh air into the bathroom (and displacing the humid air), and a small fan in the bathroom turned toward the tub/shower to dry it quickly. Mold can't grow when things are dry. Someone wrote in another time stating that she sprays the shower down with a diluted bleach solution (but I bet a vinegar one would work too).
We had the same problem in our bathroom. Our house was built in the 20's and the window did not open. We got rid of the mould and added a bathroom fan in the ceiling. We got a really powerful one, it's loud, but we have never had a moisture problem since.
I speak from experience - bleach is the best thing to kill mold. Get a ceiling fan installed and also buy some of those moist absorbing crystals ( you get them in the bathroom cleaning isle. We had this problem and even though the window was constantly open - it did not allow enough air in to dry up air. If you have a really stubborn problem dry the mold out with a hair dryer before you clean and then dry the area again after cleaning (wait several hours). Make sure the area is well ventilated and that you wear gloves and other necessary protective gear. Good luck
Sweety, black mold is deadly my sister-in-law just passed away due to black mold in her lungs. She was only 39. Please be careful.
Editor's Note Here's a link from the EPA about Mold:
Home Depot was advertising a product for getting rid of mold. I don't know if it works from personal experience, but the name of it is
Concrobium Mold Control.
I was watching HGTV they used clorox and water in a spray bottle.
You can also try a solution of 20 Mule Team Borax and water. Borax is a mold and mildew inhibitor and will help keep it from returning.
Use a bathroom ventilator, you install in the ceiling but before that, use sugarsoap to clean it up. Repaint ceiling with ceiling paint and add mold stuff in, ask at the paint shop.
What is sugarsoap?
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!