Recycled Fabric Latch Hook Rug

I try to think 'outside the box' for recycling. Sometimes I don't always have rug canvas. I made a rug from a less-than-lovely knitted throw and some old t-shirts. Everything is machine washable, and I didn't have to run out and get rug canvas.

I cut the t-shirts into small 1 inch wide and 3 inch long strips and created a latch hook rug. It was easier for me to fold the t-shirt strips in half lengthwise as I latch hooked them into the knitted throw. In the second photo, you can see a view of the back of the throw.

Editor's Note: Following are photos of the steps Monica followed:

By Monica from Cortez, CO

The rug looks very cushiony-I think one would be great by the kitchen or bathroom sink.

I try to get most of my crafting supplies from charity and thrift shops-I hope I find a couple of good size pieces of canvas soon so I can try this-my rag bag is full of material I can use for this rug.

I read another rug making tip here on ThriftyFun today about using scrap yarn on latch hook canvas. I figure by next spring I'll have enough yarn ends saved to make a yarn rug, but I am also hoping to have at least one of these rag rugs done too.

Thank-you for a great tip!

Do you tie them off someway so it's washable?

The start of a latchhook rug on a canvas
Making A Latchhook Rug
Crafts Recycled CraftsJune 20, 2011
Fixing a Shower Door Latch
Fixing a Shower Door Latch
Crafts Made from Recycled Bedspreads, Shoulder bag made from recycled chenille bedspread.
Crafts Made from Recycled Bedspreads
ornamental rug
Removing Rug Dye from Carpet
Rug Hooking Craft
Making Rug Hooking Crafts
🎉
🎄