Carpet Odors

I read online somewhere that I can use vinegar in a spray bottle to help get rid of odors. I believe that you just spray it on the carpet or whatever. Is that true?

By Sis from Lower AL

I put half white vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Add a few drops of dish detergent. I spray and over-soak the area where the 'aroma' is emitting... in about 10-20 minutes I take a rag, soaked with water, and rub rub rub the area and keep the rag really wet. Keep rubbing, and then put paper towels lightly over the wet area, and let dry completely. At least one day! The paper towels are to protect the wet spot, and keep people from walking on the spot, and pets off the strange smelling area. In two days, no more smell. If, per chance, it still smells, redo the process. It works. White vinegar is the best!

Vinegar will work but you might need to spray it a few times for a few days. Do not over saturate unless it's just a small spot or you'll end up with a whole new set of problems. If it's just a spot here or there what islandsage suggests is the way to go.

It also helps to place small bowls with vinegar around the room because that helps remove odors too.

July 25, 2011 Flag

We just moved into a new home, with new carpet! Now the dogs are having accidents (or are they?) on the carpet. How do I get the smell out of the carpet without spending a fortune?

By heymom from Moose Lake, MN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Need to use an Enzyme Cleaner so they won't pee in the same spot again. They have several kinds at pet stores - I use Nature's Miracle. Or you can also use Folex Carpet Cleaner. Either one works well in my house.

Use diluted white vinegar in place of carpet cleaning solution in your carpet cleaner. My daughter moved into a home with really disgusting carpets and being on a budget she decided to try this method. Worked better than any commercial cleaner she had tried previously.

February 11, 2010 Flag

What can I use or make to remove the odor from my daughter's bedroom carpet? Not the entire room just the area where she gets into bed and sits.

By Carol from Castro Balley, CA

Answers:

Carpet Odors

We were in Costa Rica and at the hotel we stayed in, the maid used a damp mop with disinfectant in it to clean the carpet and keep the room fresh smelling. I was surprised to see someone using a mop on carpet, but I watched her and then tried it myself at home. It really does work well and keeps my bedroom carpet and living room carpet cleaner longer between shampooing. Perhaps this is all you need do to your daughter's bedroom carpet. You can turn the fan on and help it dry out quickly. (08/07/2009)

By Lorelei

Carpet Odors

The mop idea is great, I am going to try it. Also I make my own fabric spray and air freshener:
One part fabric softener in a spray bottle, the more expensive the fabric softener the better.

Three or less parts water.

I use this on the carpet, in the air, as perfume on my clothes, on wet laundry before going into the dryer, to freshen the laundry waiting to be washed and also in the bathroom. I also found that Palmolive Bleach Alternative dish detergent works. Add five or six squirts into a load of laundry or more. Can get stains out of laundry better than detergent meant for the laundry.

I don't like laundry detergent, because it upsets my skin on my hands. So I use Palmolive Bleach Alternative dish soap and it is cheaper too, and I put in in my soap dispensers all around the house, diluted with water.

Anyway I have heard of using apple cider vinegar as a spray for the carpet. I haven't tried it yet.
(08/08/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Carpet Odors

Try baking soda. Sprinkle it on the area and let it set a few hours and vacuum it up. (08/08/2009)

By sissy7575

Carpet Odors

If you use any sort of liquid please be careful to not over saturate, because it can cause mold which is a major health problem and once mold takes hold it spreads even in to dry areas. Personally, I suggest trying dry products like the baking soda mentioned. (08/11/2009)

By Deeli

August 7, 2009 Flag

One of my cats did a few Number 2's on the carpet in my bedroom. I explained to him that this behavior is unacceptable, it will not be tolerated and he is to go outside to do his business. He has been very good since, but I cannot get rid of the terrible smell.

I have tried white vinegar, but it still stinks to high heaven every time the room has been closed for some time. Will it help to put charcoal in the room for a few hours and close everything up? Any other help will be appreciated. Thank you. Kind regards.

Willem from Republic of South Africa

Answers:

baking soda

If you sprinkle your carpet with baking soda and leave it there for about 20 minutes then vacuum it up that should help. (03/19/2007)

By Amy

Carpet Odors

Oxy Clean will get the smell and the stains out. I love the stuff. I had my cat pee in my car taking him to the vet and could not get the smell out and I used oxy clean and it worked wonders. You should try it. It also works really well in a carpet cleaning machine. (03/19/2007)

By Molissa

Carpet Odors

Try sprinkling Borax on the spot and letting sit for a while then vacuum up. It's found in the laundry detergent section of the grocery store near the bleach. It is only toxic to animals if they eat a whole bunch, like 2lbs of the stuff. It will not bleach the carpet.

I use it in the bottom of my trash cans, also in laundry to freshen a load. It's stronger than baking soda. It's also good to repel pests if you have a problem with them, just put a little line of the white powder under your cabinets. The bugs won't cross the line. It's toxic to them. (03/19/2007)

By Debbie from SC USA

Carpet Odors

Thank you.
I tried the baking soda first, as it was available in the kitchen, and it worked just fine. I am so grateful and happy. Thank you, for all the other responses as well. (03/25/2007)

By Willem

July 4, 2006 Flag

How do I get rid of carpet odors?

Carol from Davis, CA

Answers:

Vinegar and Water

Try mixing vinegar and water and spraying your carpet. Let it set for about 10 minutes and then vaccum. No your carpet will not smell like vinegar. The vinegar is supposed to help neutrolize the odor. Or try sprinkling with baking soda and let sit for 10-15 minutes, the vaccum up. (07/11/2006)

By buffalogal95

Ideas

Do you have any idea what the odor is from? Do you have pets accidents? If so, try an acid based cleaner like vinegar or lemon kool-aid (no sugar and test a spot for colorfastness).

Borateem and water are great for almost any cleaning project. So are baking soda and water. Try them in a steam cleaner (rented) instead of the real expensive soaps you can get with the rental. After they dry the carpet may feel a little stiff but a good vacuum will fix that.

Are you sure its the carpets? Does your furniture or drapes need cleaning? if you have recently moved in you may be inheiriting someone elses cigarrete smoke or incense smoke on your walls. Wash them down with Murphy's Oil soap for wood, baking soda and water for paint or use a well wrung cloth for wallpaper. Good luck. (07/11/2006)

By Carla Bledsoe

Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetFebruary 11, 2010
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Cleaning Carpet
Removing Vomit Stains from Carpet
🎄