Choosing Good Potatoes

Is there a way to tell if the potato I purchase at a grocery store is good to eat? I ask because I recently purchased a red skinned potato that was green just underneath the skin and it wasn't that good.

ba rok

Sorry, but no. I've never found a way. I've wasted a lot of money on green potatoes. If anyone knows I would be interested too.

From:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002875.htm

The toxin is found throughout the plant but especially in green potatoes and in the new sprouts. Never eat potatoes that are spoiled or green below the skin. Always throw away the sprouts.

Potatoes that are not green and have had any sprouts removed are safe to eat.

Another site: http://www.promolux.com/english/retail_produce_greening.html

Talks a lot about why grocery store potatoes green up, because of the fluorescent lights.

Usually if i see any green, I cut it off. If the whole potato is green, I don't eat it. You can always return the potatoes to the grocery store if they are green.

One good thing, it does take quite a lot of the poison to affect you and steaming will help remove some of it.

The nose knows, smell before buying,some are so humid or old, had been told the green was that they had not grown to full potential before being picked (not sure of that).

Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesOctober 5, 2006
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Mashed potatoes with melting butter on top.
Fixing Runny Mashed Potatoes
sliced sweet potato
Recipes Using Yams (Sweet Potatoes)
Dish of mashed potatoes.
Freezing Mashed Potatoes
🎄