Knifty Knitter Hat Is Too Large

I purchased the Knifty Knitter, with the instructions for knitted hat. I am just finishing making a hat and the hat is so large, it will not fit any of the grown up people, much less children. What did I do wrong?

There are 41 pegs on the loom. On the bottom of the instructions it talks about making a baby hat. So I assume I could use this loom.

Barb

I don't exactly visualize the Knifty Knitter, but have an idea what it's like. I do knit, but I'm an ol' traditional needle-knitter. If you don't have any suggestions with your instructions, a couple things you might check: The first thought was the type of yarn you use. This will, of course, make quite a difference in whatever you're making. Another is the tension--do you have some way of controlling how tight your stitches are? The looser the stitches the larger the item. If it's as large as you say, perhaps you could use every other peg--although how every-other of an odd number of pegs would work out I couldn't guess! Without actually seeing your work, I couldn't tell exactly the problem. I'd be curious to know how you make out with any correction results. Maybe I'll try searching for Knifty Knitter online an' see if I could see what one looks like. Good luck!

How about running a little elastic around the inside of the KK hat and rescue the little mistake?

What kind of yarn did you use?? I have a knifty knitter too and the holes are so big it would be useless to knit anything and was wondering if it was the kind of yarn I had.

What color loom are you using? You also need to use 2 strands throughout. Here is help on Knifty Knitter-

http://www.provocraft.com/products/index.products.php?cl=knifty%20knitter

Try using a smaller loom. Probably the green one. I use the blue loom for baby hats.

Hi, I wonder if you used pure wool? If so you could try felting your hat. That would reduce it's size considerably. All you do is put your item in the washing machine on the lowest water level, with the very hottest water you can, and a very small amount of washing detergent and wash it for 20 minutes. Check how it is going in 5minute intervals. Then when shrunk or felted put it on something that is the shape of a head and the size you want, and let it dry. Hopefully your hat will dry to a much smaller shape and look terrific also. I know this does not solve the problem of the large knitting, but it does save you discarding the hat or having to pull it all undone. Hope this helps.

Knifty Knitter
Making a Hat With a Knifty Knitter
Crafts KnittingJuly 26, 2008
Knifty Knitter Loom
Making a Blanket With a Knifty Knitter
Finding Knifty Knitter Patterns
Finding Knifty Knitter Patterns
long loom
Using a Knifty Knitter Long Loom
🎉
🎄