Long Standing Fudge Recipe Will No Longer Set Up

I have been making this same fudge recipes for over 20 years, but recently the mixture does not harden. I use mini marshmallows, margarine, sugar, Pet milk, and semi sweet chocolate bits. Then I put it in the frig. I noticed some people say not to refrigerate, but I always have. Now it does not harden to cut into squares. Someone said about kind of sugar? I am not sure what that means. This has happened the last 3 times I have made it and I am so mad, as it was so easy and now it is a disaster. Any help? Thanks

By Helen from Concord, CA

Are you cooking the sugar long enough before adding the rest of the ingredients? I had a similar problem a couple weeks ago; had been making fudge for a long time but I got distracted just after putting the pot on the stove and I didn't let it boil for the five minutes the recipe required. Did it right next time, and all was well.

I know exactly how you feel. Had the same problem this year with my fudge after years and years of using the same recipe successfully. The only thing I can think of is that the formula of the condensed milk has been changed to a more "watery" solution which affects the fudge. I had success by leaving out the margarine since that is what makes it "softer". Hope this helps.

Hi Helen, I have heard that humidity in the air can affect making fudge but couldn't remember why so I looked it up and here's what I found: Before you turn on the stove, take a look at the weather. Clear, dry days are best for candy-making. On rainy or humid days, the cooking time can increase substantially or your candy may never set up at all. Sugar attracts water, so the humidity can adversely affect your recipe.

Also, found this link that might give you more information:

It might be the products that are used that are now produced differently than they were in years past. I know Crisco shortening is different now as it has eliminated saturated fats, I think it was. But some recipes don't come out the same because of this so I guess it might be that the formulas of some products have changed since original.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Candies FudgeDecember 26, 2010
Easy Fudge Recipes
Easy Fudge Recipes
Peanut butter fudge made with cake frosting and peanut butter.
Cake Frosting Fudge Recipes
Making Fudge
Fixing Fudge That Didn't Set
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipes