Thicker Hair

What homemade recipe can I use to make my hair appear thicker or be thicker?

By carmen1951 from Houston, TX

After washing, rinse your hair with rosemary steeped water (just pour boiling water over fresh rosemary and let sit for 10 mins - cool before using and keep extra in the fridge for next time). Regular rinsing with rosemary thickens your hair and for some people actually restores colour! my mother did this and it worked well!

Have no idea about Rosemary, but I prefer to produce my own body production thickness by taking hair, skin,and nails vitamin (all in one), about $4.00, from Dollar General which works VERY well and quickly in all three areas. Nothing else that I have found except Mane n' Tail, which varies from bottle to bottle for some reason, and often makes my hair greasy rather than thick. Follow instructions on either and you can't go wrong. Remember that your hair also needs ZINC as well to grow and thicken and multi-vits/ minerals are never quite "complete". God bless, : )

Thanks for all your answers! God bless.

I've noticed quite a difference in my hair now. I'm taking the supplement "Biotin". I'm also using coconut oil to moisturize my scalp once a week.

October 6, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have any tips on thickening hair and not having a dry effect?

Nisbah

Answers:

Thicker Hair

There are products on the market to produce this effect. CVS sells hair thickening products. The shampoo is in the section with dandruff shampoos and products for men going bald. Best of luck. (07/26/2006)

By Carol in PA

Thicker Hair

Herbs: Horsetail Herb extract caps, 2 daily, plus Bio-Zinc caps of about 50 mg. daily, and Acidophilus with Fos of one daily. This will strengthen new growth reliably unless you have male-patterned baldness. (07/30/2006)

By Lynda

Thicker Hair

Stop using shampoo. It's just something we think we need. It actually strips the hair far too harshly and weakens it at the roots causing it to fall out and break easier. (We then buy all the anti frizz products to try and fix the problem not the cause.)

All we actually need to 'clean' the hair is conditioner alone. The chemicals in the conditioner will clean and replenish the hair without the harsh chemical cleaner damage caused by the shampoo.

I read about this two weeks ago (interview transcript from a dermatologist on ABC TV in Australia) and stopped using it straight away as I have fine thin frizzy hair.

Apparently it can take two weeks or more for your hair to adjust. Mine had two days where I had to wash it twice a day if I wanted to go out at night (also cause it's fairly thin hair) but after two weeks it's adjusting, was softer right from the start and stopped falling out immediately.

I can actually run my hands through it during blow drying and washing and not lose a strand. Whereas before I'd lose at least one with every tug (you may want to protect it with mousse when blow drying). I think my flyaways up top are growing out, and there are less new ones.

Make sure you use plenty of conditioner, which is okay cause you won't have to buy shampoo as well after all. I don't think I will ever use shampoo again. (07/30/2006)

By nicedevil

Thicker Hair

I read about these tips a few years back and it worked for me. I hope you have good luck with it too.

Towel dry your hair after shampooing. Blow dry your hair on medium heat until around 70% dry. This takes some practice to find the exact drying time. You will be able to tell after a while. Then you can do one or all of these below-

1. Tightly twist small amounts of hair, like one or two inches of hair as you blow dry. Use a diffuser - my hairdresser said that if I didn't use a diffuser, just hot air blowing on my hair would straighten it out, not add volume. I found this to be true.

Do your entire head in small sections. I put some hot rollers in and I have volume without drying out my hair.

2. But I think the best way that worked for me is this. I found a blow dryer with a diffuser attachment that had long 'fingers' or 'prongs'. The hot air came out of these prongs as well as out of the base of the diffuser. I bought it at Target or Walmart - it's not expensive at all.

The brand is: Revlon Model RV484.

After my hair is 80% dry, I use my diffuser in small sections using a circular motion against my scalp. I use the circular motion until each section of my hair is dry. My hair comes out full of volume after I do my whole head. I use hot rollers in it after that. My hair stays full for 2-3 days.

But I think that the styling product I use has a major effect as far as shine goes, though. It's about the best product that I have ever used: Paul Mitchell's Modern Elixirs Styling Serum.

My hair is colored and tends to get dry. This adds real shine and bounce. My hair doesn't get greasy and is not greasy the next day either. Not heavy at all either. It helps with frizziness, but is not a miracle worker since I live in Houston, TX and it is very humid and hot here most of the year.

Good Luck! (09/07/2007)

By metroplex

Thicker Hair

To restore moisture to your skin and hair, supplement your diet with Evening Primrose Oil. These capsules provide an essential fatty acid called GLA (gamma-linolenic acid), which promotes the healthy growth of skin and hair. I use this twice a day and have noticed a difference. (09/10/2007)

By Wanda

thick red hair
Growing Thicker Hair
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips Thin HairOctober 6, 2009
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Mug of slighty lumpy Greek yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Recipes
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄