Baked Macaroni and Cheese

I'm looking for a good baked mac and cheese recipe. Thanks!

My Mother made Baked Mac 'n Cheese the same way as tejas recipe except she beat up one egg and added it to the milk before pouring it over the Mac 'n Cheese. She baked in a wood stove so I didn't know the temp. I have made it like this for many years baking in 350° oven until it begins to brown and is slightly crusty around the edges. It is especially good to make enough to have left-overs and leave it sitting out on the counter. Someone always comes along and picks it up in hand and eats it before it has a chance to go bad!

I have gotten many compliments on my Macaroni and Cheese. Here it is. Have been asked for the recipe alot.

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

1 pound small elbow macaroni

6 tablespoons butter

6 tablespoons flour

4 cups milk

2 tsp. kosher salt

1/4 tsp. Pepper

1/2 tsp. paprika Cook macaroni according to package directions.

2 large eggs

1/2 tsp. onion powder,

24 ounces Sharp Cheddar, shredded (6 cups)

Preheat oven 375 º. Spray a 9x13 inch or 3 quart glass casserole dish with Pam cooking spray or butter the dish.

Cook macaroni according to package directions.

Melt butter in large bowl in microwave. Add, flour, salt, pepper and paprika onion powder. Whisk together till smooth. Add milk. Cook in microwave till thickened. Stir often with a whisk. This is your white sauce.

In a bowl temper eggs with white sauce by placing eggs in a bowl. Stir eggs slightly. Add about 1 cup of the hot white sauce to the beaten eggs. Stir with a whisk till incorporated. Add eggs/ white sauce mixture to the rest of the white sauce and whisk. Tempering the eggs with a small amount of white sauce keeps the eggs from being like scrambled eggs when adding only the eggs to the white sauce. Your white sauce is done at this point. It will start to thicken upon sitting.

In a 3 quart (9 x 13 inch) buttered or Pam sprayed glass baking dish, Layer the ingredients in the prepared casserole dish this way:

Half the Macaroni

Half of the white sauce

Half the cheese

Rest of the macaroni

Rest of the white sauce

Rest of cheese

To me it is best layered. I dont like the cheese mixed in the sauce because to me it is grainy.

Bake in a preheated 375 0 oven for about 30 minutes till hot and bubbly.

July 24, 2008 Flag

My mother used to make the best baked macaroni and cheese. I remember she used saltine cracker crumbs along with the macaroni, cheese, and milk. I don't know if she used an egg. Does anyone have the recipe?

Bobbye from Homosassa, FL

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

• 1.Cook Macaroni in boiling water - drain
  • 2.baking dish - butter/grease/or Pam dish
  • 3.put a layer of macaroni /slim inch
  • 4.put a layer of sharp cheddar cheese
  • 5.repeat steps 3&4 until dish is nearly full (inch or
    so from top) - end with a layer of cheese on top
  • 6.add milk until you can just begin to see it at
    edge of the dish - too much makes it sloppy
  • with butter - amount depends on size of dish
  • 8.sprinkle with finely crushed - saltines or ritz
    crackers - bread crumbs or wheat germ

Bake at 375 - half hour to an hour -depending on
your oven - until lightly browned

Note: I like to sprinkle in a little garlic and/ red pepper flakes in the middle layer.

Mac & Cheese is my favorite hot dish - enjoy! (11/01/2007)

By tejas

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

My recipe could be different, but here it is.

• 8 oz. box macaroni
  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1/8 Teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/ teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Cook macaroni about 3 minutes,drain and cover,set aside.preheat oven at 350, in medium saucepan melt margarine blend in flour,salt mustard, and pepper, cook till smooth, gradually add milk, cook over medium heat until mixture boils, stirring constantly, gradually mix in cheese until melted. Take off stove and mix in pasta and pour into a 2 quart casserole dish, top with crushed saltine crackers and bake 25 minutes. (11/01/2007)

By cupcake04

Food and Recipes Recipes PastasAugust 10, 2008
Chicken Macaroni Salad
Chicken Macaroni Casserole Recipes
Mashed potatoes with bacon and cheese.
Twice Baked Mashed Potato Recipes
Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese