Rodent Control Suggestions

Is there a rodent bait that is safe for dogs? Our barn has a number of rodents, rats. To keep family dogs safe should they find dead one, I do not use poison.

I need a safe way to reduce (kill) rodents. I have tried glue boards and traps they just don't work. We keep feed in heavy metal trash cans with snug lids in a closed feed room. Yet the rats still thrive. I am ready to consider using poison, so please help. Thanks.

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By Cindi from Ocala, FL

Peanut butter works really well for mice; it may also work for rats?

[edited to add] Does require a kill trap, mind you!

My dad has horses & he had the same problem....rather than using poison or traps he got an outside cat. It worked, he hasn't had a mouse/rat for years.

I'm so happy to see someone else thought cat. I wanted to post that but thought it would sound like I was mocking and that would not be intended.

Cats do wonders to reduce rodent population. Female cats generally seem to be the better hunters than the males. We have both wandering the neighborhood, and the female is always bringing home her "gifts" for her people. Best of luck with the rat problem.

Quit feeding your dogs so much and they'll soon begin to hunt rats. Dogs are meat-eaters and rats are fine meat.

The Coca Cola thing? My grandpa used to do this also. But Dad said they'd drink it and then they couldn't burp so they'd blow up on the inside!! Now I don't like mice or rats either, but dang that sounds horrible to me! I guess no worse than poison though.

Thanks for so many suggestions, just want to let you know

The rats are only in the Barn not in my loft house thank goodness

so I'll try several of your suggestions

As soneal dottie & notwrong suggests (my indoor cats do a lovely job in the house)but an out door cat would not live long here, foxes and bobcat are often in sight and hunt cats for a meal

Thanks guys, It was worth it.

Any snapping type trap might injure an animal you don't want to hurt. Poison will kill the rats and those animals which might try to eat it. One reader suggesting you let your dog become a rat eater by feeding it less was really sick. Can you call an exterminator to see what they might try? Good luck to you.

Rodent Control, Closeup of Wood Mouse
Rodent Control
Home and Garden Pest Control RatsMarch 29, 2011
A photo of mouse.
Getting Rid of Mice Without Poison
Eastern Garter Snake
The Benefits of Garden Snakes
Rodent Trap
Rodent Odor in Walls and Vents
Spice Rack
Starter Spice Rack Suggestions
🎄