My Frugal LifeFrugal Living

Saving Money Running a Motel

My Frugal LifeI run a 19 room motel and I try to help my boss/best friend save some money wherever we can.

One way is when I'm watering the yards and the hose has a leak. Instead of letting the leak just waste away on the ground, I put a large watering can under the leak and use the water from that to water the plants the sprinklers don't reach. Other times, I put it on a tree or in a planter box and water them that way. No water is wasted that way.

Also, we have a planter box that is always in the sun and nothing wants to grow in it because it's so hot and dry. What I did is planted some pansies in the box then put some big fluffy fake flowers over them to act as umbrellas to shade them during the hottest times of the day. It's working quite well.

During the fall, I rake all the leaves onto the trees and other plants to preserve them from the cold. Best free compost we have and I've saved plants I never thought would grow again.

KellysArk from Bend, OR

Motel Planter

Hi Kelly,

Sounds like you are doing great with saving water. One additional thing that you could try is to add some of those water grabber granules to the pansy bed the next time you plant flowers. You can get them from any garden supply store. They look like large sugar crystals. When wet, they expand and hold the water until your plant roots need it. They aren't that expensive and a little goes a long way. I use them in all of my potted plants and even in my veggie garden. They have helped me cut down on watering a lot :)

Iggits

WHAT A GREAT IDEA - THANKS FOR SHARING THIS I WILL TRY THIS ONE OUT FOR SURE!