Keeping a Scout's Stuff Organized

'Tis the season for Webelos (5th grade Cub Scouts) to bridge into Boy Scout troops. It's an exciting time for all, especially the new Scout! One way to keep all of the "Scout stuff" together is to get a plastic bin - nice big one - for him to put his scout book(s), uniform pieces and parts (scarf, tie slide, socks, belt, etc.), and accumulating camping/hiking/backpacking equipment in. If he gets into the habit of putting his Scout stuff in the bin after every meeting or outing, you and he will always know where to look for them next time. This is especially helpful if your Scout shares a bedroom or is prone toward misplacing smaller objects.

If he owns an external frame backpack, much of the "stuff" could be stored inside the backpack as well. Put cane/crutch tip protectors on the bottom of the vertical frame pieces and they will help keep the pack from skidding all over the floor as it gets filled.

Source: My experience with my own just-turned-Life Scout.

By MooseMom from Elk Grove, CA

Excellent advice, almost makes me miss my growing-up years, watching my big brother grow up in Boy Scouts. Sigh.

Just last night, I presented the girls in my daughter's Daisy troop with personalized tote bags for them to have a place to keep their tunics, journey books, and the folder that their leaders put messages in to the parents. My hope is that it helps the girls in working toward a petal (Daisy version of a badge) for "being responsible for what I say and do" because they be responsible for their own Daisy gear and special items to bring to meetings. It is also my hope that it means that the Daisy moms and dads will have stress-free times getting out the door to the meetings because their girls will already have their things ready to go in their totes. I was able to create a tote for free (and paid only shipping of less than $5) on www.vistaprint.com. (When I made the totes, I was able to make a free t-shirt for no extra shipping, so since I'm the cookie mom for the troop, they also received "I love Girl Scout Cookies" t-shirts.)

April 10, 2012 Flag

My son is a Life Scout in Boy Scouts. He is in his 9th year now, having started in first grade as a Tiger Cub. We have a plastic bin in his bedroom where all of his Scout "stuff" goes; uniform pieces and parts, handbooks, binders, badge books, camping stuff, water bottles, compass, pocket knife, etc.

At 15, I do still get the, "Mom, where is my ___" scream as we are five minutes late for whatever. I just tell him to look in his Scout Box. Usually it is right there. Much less frustration for me, much more responsibility for him, much easier to keep the Scout stuff from taking over the entire house!

By Eileen from Elk Grove, CA

A boy scout looking at a compass.
Organizing Tips for Parents of Boy Scouts
Parenting Grade Schooler Crafts/ActivitiesFebruary 8, 2011
Horder Kitchen
Help With Hoarding
toys organized in plastic bins
Keeping Kids Toys Organized
Cleaning a Tent, Tent in wet conditions
Cleaning a Tent
three scouts
Cub Scout Banquet Decorations
🎄