ConversionsFood Tips

Measuring for a Coffee Maker

What do I use to measure water for my coffee. 4 cups of water in a measuring cup is not the same as 4 cups in my carafe. How do you measure? Thanks

Dave from Concord, CA

Although most of us drink coffee by the mug which is larger than a cup, a normal cup of coffee is 6 ounces, so 4 cups would be 24 ounces on your measuring cup or 3 - 8 ounce cups of water.

Susan from ThriftyFun

There's Basically 2 measurements... WET & DRY...Wet is for any liquid & Dry is for things like flower & sugar...Clear Pyrex Glass measuring Cups are for measureing liquids & the single plastic cups are for dry measurments. When I don't have a Pyrex measuring cup, my next favorite measuring device is a Baby Bottle... Most moms have an old one laying around. (or you can buy one at a dollar store) ... a wet cup is 8 ounces... or to the top line of the baby bottle, 4 ounces is a half cup or half way to the top of the baby

bottle.

* Moms: Don't throw away all of your baby bottles when your child has outgrown them... They're not only good as accurate measuring devices, When your child gets sick, Baby bottles are the easiest way to keep them hydrated... (no matter the age!)... You may think your 4, 5 or even 8 year old is to old for a "bottle"... but, let me tell you... When your child gets a fever (or whatever) & you need to get liquids into them... Bottles do the trick! because they can drink them without having to sit up... There's no worry about spillage either... So they can just lay their poor little heads on the pillow & make sure they're hydrated...

PS: Read your coffee makers handbook to see if they want you to put in a Real 8 oz cup or a different measurement. Usually, when they call for a "cup" they mean a cup... But, Like the other poster said: Sometimes, a mug is larger... So it all depends... But, In truth, It really depends on if you want your coffee stronger or weaker... Just relax & don't worry about the measurements... Just make your coffee the way you like it! (It's only coffee... Not a high tech, industrial formula... *grin*).

I am the only coffee drinker in the family. I always drink coffee from a mug. I have a small four cup Mr Coffee. It has an indicator for the water. I just pour the water in slowley and watch the indicator until it gets up to four cups. This turns out to be two mugs. Simplifies things and makes great coffee.

Use the style mug that you drink coffee from, and fill with water, then pour into the coffee maker. Using the mug will give you the right amount of water. After doing this, note what marking it reaches on the carafe, and fill to there in future. You could also pour the mug measured water into a "wet" measuring cup. My husband and I each drink two mugsof coffee in the morning, and to make four of our mugsful, it takes about seven cups of water on the carafe markings.