Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Homemade Urine-Be-Gone

I sure could use a homemade urine-be-gone. I have got to say how very pleased I am that this site is on the computer, I go here all the time and find the answers I am looking for.

Thanks so very much.

Jamish from Ranson, KS

By

By Yvonne06/18/2010

In response to mygaley, never use ammonia. Urine in loaded with ammonia and if you use a cleaner with ammonia in it the animals tend to go again in the spot again to cover it up. It just becomes a never ending cycle.

By Betsy [1]10/10/2008

Tried hydroogen peroxide, soap & water mix last night but blotted area with towel. Could still smell cat urine this morning! Company due tonight for the weekend! Aargh

By Ginny (Guest Post)07/22/2008

Thank you for all your help. This is a great site. Wish I found you when I had rugs. Now I have wood floors and I need to keep them really clean. Thanks again. I hope this works need to clean up where my kitty goes. She is older and diabetic.

By Only me (Guest Post)06/13/2007

Doesnt the peroxide bleach the carpet. I have a dark blue carpet in my home, and am a bit concerned that I will end up with light spots on my carpet.

Editor's Note: It's possible the peroxide will lighten or bleach a dark blue carpet. You could try it in an out of the way place or on a scrap to check before using. This is idea for any cleaning method on any fabric or carpet.

By Robbie07/12/2006

Irish posted that she'd had a recipe for urine be gone but lost it. Here it is I'm pretty sure :
Mix 1 tsp of baking soda, 1 tsp of Dawn dish liquid and 16 oz of hydrogen peroxide.
Pour it on the urine, let air dry. Do not blot. This really works!

By gale join eer [2]07/07/2006

Either straight white vinegar or washing ammonia will do the trick. Ammonia seems to deter cats and dogs.

By ellen wagner [18]06/30/2006

This does a great job on stains and smell.
3 or 4 drops dawn dish liqid, 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide 1/2 cup white vinegar. soak up the spot with an old towel, apply solution, just enough to cover the spot, let sit 10-15 minutes then soak that up.

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)06/30/2006

don't know how urine-be-gone works but i have a homemade solution for urine. lemon koolaid. dilute a pkg of lemon koolaid as directed without the sugar. put it in a spray bottle and (after checking for colorfastness, citric acid can be strong stuff for some materials) spray the area and blot with a rag. repeat as needed. i used this on my kids mattresses when they were little. vinegar will work too but the koolaid smells better. urine is alkaline. anything acid should do the trick. try borateem and water if you want an odor free solution.

By Irish (Guest Post)06/30/2006

I posted a few times a recipe on this site. My hard drive crashed and I no longer have it handy, but I am sure you can search the site. It kills odor completely and all you need is some simple around-the-house products. One of them is Joy dishwashing liquid and the other is hydrogen peroxide. A blacklight is helpful to locate all the places you need to saturate.

Good luck