Wildlife: Blue Button Jelly Fish

Mother Nature never let's me down especially when walking the Atlantic Beach. Today we saw several of the Blue Button jelly fish. Not knowing anything about them until we got home and did research. We kept our hands and feet far enough away.

They are harmless and not really jelly fish but are Chondrophores, they are actually colonies of polyps. The photo shows one that has a hole in the center, I am guessing a bird or two may have been at it. Love the way the sun sparkles on the tentacles.

Source: Personal photo taken by myself.

By NoRulesArt

Very lovely picture. It's different from the birds/sky pics you see. Good eye for color! Thanks for the lovely picture. If you don't mind I just might use it as my desktop pic.

The Blue Button is washed up all over the beach here at Myrtle Beach. It is of the same Phylum as the Jelly fish but a different class. They can sting but will only cause mild irritation to the human skin. It is beautiful! Great pic too!

Photos WildlifeJuly 19, 2010
Fish Buying Tips
Fish Buying Tips
Baby Blue Eyes (California Blue Bells)
Growing Baby Blue Eyes (California Blue Bells)
A chaffinch sitting on a rock by a garden pond.
Keeping Ponds Safe for Fish and Wildlife
Pond Fish
Protecting Pond Fish From Wildlife