Going Public After Cosmetic Surgery (For Walls)

contest winner icon

I am content doing laundry because I now have cheery walls to look at. I have to tell you, I never thought there would be a part two to my previous story. As I wash the paint off my brushes once again, I wanted to share my adventure.

Our neighbors, who live directly across from us, came to visit. I didn't know that along with the coffee cake they brought, they had also baked a hidden agenda. By living close, we both leave our garage doors open and visit each other. They have seen me often working on one project or another, and were over many times during my "wall surgery" and loved the outcome. They are dear fans of mine (bless their hearts) and always seem to have encouraging words and kind compliments.

On this particular visit, while drinking my coffee, they asked if I would paint a mural on their house. Now I wish I could say at this point that my "spitting up" days ended as a child, but the shock was too much and out came my coffee (I apologize again dear neighbors). It was pure shock, I admit. "You want me to do WHAT!?!", I asked as my hand shook trying to put down the cup.

"We want you to paint a mural on our house," they reconfirmed.

"Yep," I thought, "I heard right." It took them 3 days to talk me into this. Although I love creating with my hands, the results usually remain in my own house. I never hesitate to put paint on my own walls, but a house? And the OUTSIDE of a house, at that! And the outside of SOMEONE ELSE'S house, at that!

NhaVuonDep400x264.jpg

After 3 days of assuring me that they had all the confidence in the world in my talent (their words and bless their hearts again) and that they had "extra" exterior paint (I had to know I could cover up if I goofed!), I gathered up my supplies (and courage). I really wish you could have seen me that first day. Although the space between our houses was a stone's throw, to me it felt more like I was walking "the green mile!" I just couldn't believe I had agreed to do this. "What was I thinking?", I asked myself over and over.

NhaVuonDep400x269.jpg

I dug down deep and found that GO FOR IT button and wanted to share the results. The motto of this story is that it's good to go outside your "comfort zone." Even if your hands shake and you have wobbly knees, GO FOR IT!

NhaVuonDep400x266.jpg

So, for all the women out there, the next time your husband or significant other complains about having to paint the house, smile and say, "Honey, I'll do it for you!" Grab some brushes and do your thing! We are woman. We are strong. In numbers too big to ignore!

P.S. They loved the mural and asked me to do shutters. They attached real hinges to them. Aw-w-w - love thy neighbors!

NhaVuonDep400x271.jpg

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

Editor's Note: Here is Mary's first essay about painting her laundry room walls.

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Wow! That's beautiful! Great job!

Thank you so much Erin813. I was halfway okay once my hands stopped shaking and better once I started painting. I just peeked in their garage from time to time to make sure the extra house was still there just in case, but they loved the end result! Whew!

It looks like your talent has found a calling. You may be starting a trend for neighborhoods. My husband was born in Toppenish, WA and it is called the city of murals as many of the stores in town have lovely murals painted on their business walls. I have always loved these murals because it gives the town character. Thank you for sharing your God given talent with others.

Nice job. However, I wonder if all communities would allow something like this, especially if the public can see it.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I have always loved to paint and sometimes think I may have had a paintbrush in my hand when I was born. I, like you, enjoy greatly the town's such as your husbands, who give personality and character to their surroundings. Just the other day we were driving through Kentucky and they have murals painted on their overpasses. The artist did a terrific job and gave this particular town much added beauty.

redhatterb, thank you much and I agree with you. I'm sure there are towns somewhere that would not allow this but if it's done in good taste, I think it gives a special character to the neighborhood. Luckily, I live in such a town and all the neighbors love it!

Absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing with us Thrifty Funners!

How you do impress one's creative side! Love the look. When we were overseas in Germany and Switzerland murals were on lots of outside walls of homes and businesses. So picturesque and pleasing to the eyes. You wanna be my neighbor?

I absolutely love it!

Mary, that is amazing! And so lifelike. Fantastic! Please tell me in an email the address so we can go see it.

Fabulous!

Marg from England.

Beautiful job, Mary. A professional could not have done better.

Bill

You can start calling yourself an "artist" now.

Your work is beautiful, and I wish we could do that here where we are in Boca Raton. It would not be allowed by the homeowner's association. Too bad. Their loss. I am delighted with your work, and if you're wanting to work, I'm sure you'll get plenty of offers if others see this home's exterior. Blends in perfectly with the landscaping too.

I really enjoyed your laundry room makeover as well, and am happy to see that you're expanding. :-)

Thank you for sharing with us.

Pookarina

You are so lucky to have found your gift. Great job.

I would like to thank everyone for the wonderful feedback and taking time to post comments. It is people like you that inspire people like me to continue on to new adventures! I truly appreciate it and I, with paintbrush in hand, am off to give some areas some much needed face lifts. Hope to post pictures in the future of new creations!

God has truly blessed you with beautiful talent. And to use that talent is truly a gift back to God. I wish you were my neighbor, I'd hire you in a heart beat. Kathy

All I can say, Mary, is "fabtastic!"

For those who live in a community that doesn't allow this, well, I would think if you have a fenced back yard that you might be able to sneak a mural in the back patio area for your enjoyment. ;-)

It is beautiful! You are very talented and to do it for your neighbors was a wonderful gift!

I would be scared to death to take on such a project, but I fall short in the artistic dept.

Thanks for sharing the progression pictures to the finished project. Truly a work of art.

gr8dnm

Wow! I am so impressed. You did a fantastic job.

This is awesome. It just goes to prove all of us have hidden talents. I just wish mine was being able to paint like this! I have yet to find my talent. I hope I do before its too late, but I keep trying different things and I know it will happen. Just like you! Congratulations!

Just have to add my two cents and say awesome! I too live in an area with HOA which wouldn't allow this but maybe my patio wall in the back. :) Wish you lived near me I'd hire you!

I hope you're ready, I'm sure you will have other neighbors knocking at your door soon to request your talent! You really started something! I think it looks great & really sets that yard off!

You have found a way to make extra money! I would pay you to paint something on my house, you should seriously think about hiring yourself out, even if you were to charge $1 a minute ($60 an hour) I would gladly pay it and I am sure others would also. Perhaps you will think about it now, hope so :) Thanks for sharing this with us!

You did a wonderful job, this is fantastic! What a special talent you have!

I so want this on my house, I wish you were my neighbor, I would pay you to paint my house or anything else I needed. I wish I had your talent!

It's beautiful. It is also a welcome change from the usual plain old paint. It is a solution to the water shortage. Painting a garden on a wall that you never have to water will bring beauty to a dry landscape. I like your painting.

Absolutely beautiful job, congratulations! I wouldn't be surprised if more neighbors asked you also to do their home. To help with the what does the client want anxiety, try using your computer that has a paint/pic program. Take a picture of their wall, and then make a basic outline using a computer program. This way, they can see what you are visualizing and if they don't like it, you can make changes via your computer. That suggestion was just to help make it less stressful to you the artist. Also, you may discover you love playing with these programs (upload a picture of the wall you are using to your computer, open up the paint/pic program and then start painting/drawing. Of course, it will not be the finished product, but it might be a great method to save your artistic ideas. :)

Adding Painted Murals to Your Home's Decor, Laundry Room Mural
Adding Painted Murals to Your Home's Decor
Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeMarch 2, 2011
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Chair in Front of Public Mural
Photos of Public Murals
A light rail train.
Saving Money on Public Transportation
Dog After Surgery
Feeding a Dog After Surgery
🎄
🍂