DecoratingHome Improvement

What is a Duvet Cover?

What exactly is a duvet cover?

Imaqt1962 from Illinois

I found this link for you:

http://www.plum  -Is-A-Duvet.aspx

A duvet is a cover for a comforter or down comforter, a decorative, washable cover like a giant pillow case that buttons, zips , folds over or closes with velcro. I have one that I've used for years over an older comforter that I love. You just pull it off and throw it in the washer and dryer.

It is simply a great big sack, to put your comforter in to change the decor or to protect one that has to be dry cleaned. Down for instance. They are a pain in the b___ to put on, you almost always have to have help,

especially if you are working with king size. I've bought 2 or three and end up discarding them.

thank you for the link.. it explained it very well

It's just like a "pillow case" (or cover) for a comforter. Usually with fasteners like buttons, a zipper or Velcro at the bottom.

A duvet cover is just a fancy term for a giant pillowcase, which serves the same purpose; it keeps your duvet clean, since they are so expensive to dry clean and washing is often not an option esp. the down or feather kind! I make my own duvet covers, simply keep your eye open for sheet sales, buy 2 sheets the proper size (twin, double).Open and lay flat, pin where you will sew, since the sheets will be a bit bigger than your duvet; then turn sheets right sides in, sew up two sides and top, remembering the sheets do not have to be the same as long as the color is a match; it's nice to reverse for a change; turn your cover right side out, and slip it over your duvet, it helps to have help, and you may add snaps or velcro at the bottom if the excess material bothers you; I just tuck mine under; this is a neat trick for disguising old comforters, esp. if only used for spare beds; hope this helps!