Redbud Tree Doesn't Bud

I have two redbud trees that were purchased at a Home Depot in May of 2002. The trees have always appeared to be healthy but have NEVER had the beautiful reddish-purple blooms! (The blooms are why I wanted the trees!) Has anyone ever heard of this happening, and if so, what can be done about it?

Thanks!

Tina, SW IN

thats what you get for buying from home depot. support your local nursey

Redbud Trees don't bear flowers until they are 4 or 5 years of age.

I share your disappointment and am also looking for an answer to the question you've posed. Three little redbuds came up as volunteers in the fence row 4 or 5 years ago. They are now as tall as my head (> 5 ft), but have yet to make a single bud between them!

A redbud volunteered just by the driveway where I used to live and although it was eventually in the way, I couldn't bear to cut it because it was virtually carpeted in gorgeous buds every spring.

I don't remember that little tree ever NOT having buds. I'm pretty sure I'd have yanked it out of the flower bed unless it had given me a reason to spare it!

But, if the first responder is right, maybe next year...

*sigh*

It doesn't make any difference where you bought the redbud tree. Something is obviously wrong: Your best bet is to talk to your County Extension Office.

I planted a redbud tree almost 10 years ago. It does bloom, however it seems to have only grown about 2 feet or so and trunk circumference is still small compared to Japanese Lilac tree I planted at same time. I have fertilized, mulched etc but while tree does not appear ill in any way, it just does not seem to grow. My neighbor's mom winters in Florida for last ten years, laughs as she says the tree hardly changes everytime she returns.

Should I attempt to move it?

Help!

We planted a redbud tree this past spring and now have new growth coming from the bottom. (out of the ground)

Will it slow down the growth of the tree if we leave them?

Should we trim those off or will it become a bush if we leave them?

When should we trim them?

Redbud trees need to have their roots get crowed before they will flower. I took a Redbud out of my backyard put it in a pot to transplanting, but never got around to it with in two years it was budding. Not sure how to copy that in the ground but there you go

I have a similar problem with my redbud trees which I purchased 3 years ago. They are approximately 8 feet tall now and each spring they put buds out but they never fully "pop" out. So there is just a hint of color before the leaves come out. I'm thinking there is something lacking in my soil. I live in Washinton state.

Redbud trees like a well drained sandy soil. The are also an acid loving plant. Sprinkle a fertilizer on the ground around the redbud in the spring and water if you are not getting rain every 3-4 days. They set their buds in the fall, so check around town to see what stage the other trees are in because you want to fertilize before the buds become full for maximum benefit of the fertilizer. From one tree I have many. They need to be at least 3yrs old to set buds.

Home and Garden Gardening TreesApril 29, 2004
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Picking a Christmas Tree
Picking a Christmas Tree
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
🎉
🎄