My Favorite Sandwich: Ditch Sandwich

Many, many years ago I spent a few weekends with a schoolmate who lived on a farm in Holly Hill, FL. Her mother would fix these sandwiches on large slices of homemade white bread and we would picnic beside a nearby ditch (we called it a "canal") and imagine our future. I don't recall what I came up with, but I remember Lucetta wanted to be in the FBI! (We were about 10-12.) The sandwiches were peanut butter and onion slices. The onion cut the sweetness of the peanut butter and, since this was before days of the ultra-sweet onions, the peanut butter did the opposite. Yum! These days, I sometimes dice a slice or two of onion and mix it with the peanut butter. Still good.

By Cay from Green Cove Springs, FL

Hi Cay. That's a cute story and having grown up in Florida also, we too ate specialty sandwiches which contained raw onion. My favorite was Miracle Whip salad dressing on a cold homemade biscuit with a thin slice of raw onion and a thin slice of my father's sharp cheddar cheese. Yum-Yum. I'm wondering if people from other states also ate onion sandwiches, and how they were made. Surely onion sandwiches are not just a Florida "thing". LOL Could it be an "age" thing maybe? I was 72 in January and grew up during the days of WW2 when meat was rationed. We were not allowed to eat any kind of cold cuts during that time as my mother was afraid of what was in them. We also made specialty sandwiches using slices of whole dill pickles and Miracle Whip with peanut butter on one slice of the white bread. Funny thing about it, I still like both kinds of sandwiches. Onion and Dill Pickles.

Thanks for sharing.

Julia in Orlando, FL

Thanks, Julia. I'm not alone! I was 76 in December, so I, too, have strong memories of rationing. Our yardman would trade Mother his coffee coupons for our sugar ones! Cay

Vegetarian Sandwich Recipes
Vegetarian Sandwich Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes SandwichesApril 10, 2007
Ice Cream Sandwiches
Making an Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
Chicken Salad Sandwich
Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipes
Reuben Sandwich
Reuben Sandwich Recipes
Hero Sandwich
Hero Sandwich Recipes
🎄