Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I sprayed the microwave with cleaner, and left it to soak. While it was soaking my husband thought it would be a good idea to use the microwave, and the cleaner has sort of burnt on, and there is a very strong chemical smell that I cannot get rid of. Also the whole inside of the microwave has stained yellow.
I've tried cleaning it with plain water as I'm nervous about adding to the chemical smell. Anyone have any ideas? Especially about the yellow stain.
Joanne from Manchester, England
I suggest putting a bowl of water in the microwave, turning it on for a few minutes or so to see if the warm moisture from the boiling water does anything at all to the baked on cleaner. If it seems to be helping, continue the process; if not, discontinue.
Another thought I have is that when plastic containers acquire a "unique" and undesirable smell, putting scrunched up newspaper inside of it and closing it up for a few days seems to transfer the smell from the container to the newspaper, which you throw out. I wonder if a lot of scrunched up newspaper inside your microwave for a few days might do a similar service. Anyway, it shouldn't do any harm to try either of these things.
I recently burnt microwave popcorn in my microwave and I used white vinegar (heated it up in a glass bowl for a few minutes) and let it sit, then wiped down the sides and the underside on top using the vinegar. I was surprised at the grime that came off the inside. It took a few tries but the smell finally went away. I had tried the baking soda and water, that didn't work for me. I agree, if you are concerned about the reaction, I would call the manufacturer to make sure.
I haven't had this experience, but if I did, I would try baking soda and warm water. I'm not sure that I would add the vinegar, as the residual smell of chemicals in the microwave may mean that an unpleasant or potentially dangerous gas may result. I guess I would call the manufacturer. They must put things through all kinds of stuff, when they do testing. Good luck.
After trying the suggestions here, remember that most mftgr. warn against any sort of chemical to clean microwaves, so just use soft sponge and a little soap next time. Good luck. : )
I put in some chickpea flour & corriander powder for 3 mins but forgot to check as it had switched off when opened microwave it was smoking & all the inside of microwave is brown & smell so smokey tried bicarbonate soda with lemon in water but not made much difference please help
i have a microwave with a burned smell coming out it how can i get rid of the burned smell
I BURNED (FIRE ALSO) a potato. I tried baking powder and even a clorox gel some success but there is still a dark stain on the top where the flames reached and a lesser stain on the sides. HELP
How to get smoke stain from the inside on microwave
Accidentally put in hearing aid, it exploded. How to clean and get rid of oder