Link: Hemming Jeans

How to Hem Jeans! I found this tip several years ago and I love, love, love it! If you do it correctly, you can't even tell they have been hemmed. It works on other pants, slacks, etc.

By using the method shown on the above web site, you leave the original stitching on the hem so you don't get that rookie looking hemline.

And what I love about this site is there are some very clear pictures on how to do this that really, really help.

Good luck, and I hope you appreciate and enjoy this method as much as I have throughout the years.

By Brenda from MI

Thanks for posting.Jeans can be a hassle for sure.

I'm into snowflakes also(from your profile).

I have successfully hemmed three pair of jeans with iron-on tape. They have been through three washings with no sign of coming apart. It takes two minutes per leg and is not bulky. Simply cut off an inch or whatever you want, turn the hem up 1/2 inch or so, place the tape between, pin and steam with a damp cloth. Presto! Done.

March 5, 2011 Flag

My 11 year old has to have about 4 inches taken off the bottom of his jeans. What is the best way to hem them? I have tried the sewing machine, but always end up with a mess when I go over the seam welt. Any ideas? Thanks.

By Jill from nw PA

Hemming Jeans

Several years ago I bought something that you slip under the pressure foot of the sewing machine, as you approach the seams in jeans, when you are hemming them, it helps a lot. That particular area still doesn't turn out perfect all the time, but it is a definite improvement. A lot depends on the heaviness of the fabric. I'm sure this little thing-a-ma-jig can still be purchased if you look the right places. Before I got this little piece of plastic, I would hand turn the wheel on the machine through the seams. The stitches were bigger, but if the thread matches close enough who is going to notice. I also do my stitching, when I am shortening jeans on the right side of the fabric, because as a whole if you are going to get a big mess it will be on the side that you don't stitch on. (10/04/2010)

By redhatterb

Hemming Jeans

I, too, turn the wheel on the machine by hand when going over seams. That's what Mom taught me so the needle doesn't break. I did this just last night when I shorted the hem on a denim jacket. (10/04/2010)

By NosieRosie

Hemming Jeans

Buy a "Jean-a-ma-jig" (I think that is what it's called). I got mine from JoAnn Fabric. You put it under your feeder foot as you approach the jean seam and sew a little slower. Works every time and the stitches look great. (10/06/2010)

By MddsonMorg

Hemming Jeans

I hand sew pants and jeans when they need to be hemmed. (10/07/2010)

By Maryeileen

Hemming Jeans

It helps to cut away any bulk at the side seams before hemming. (10/08/2010)

By shi82

Hemming Jeans

I learned a neat trick from a seamstress in a fashion store at the mall who does mostly jean hems all day. She measures the finished length and cuts away the required inches plus about 1/2 inch. From the cut off bottom hem, trim the fabric close to the original hem, but leave enough of a fabric 'tab' to stitch back to the cut part higher up. Stitch the skinny original hem back onto the cut off pant sewing very close to the top edge of the store sewn hem. She uses a serger, but I've done it successfully with a regular straight stitch and zig-zag the raw edges. Press small seam up. You can barely see the seam since it's so close to the thick hem. Hope this makes sense.

The only problem with this method is that if you take off a lot of pant leg the original hem from the bottom may be larger around than the new pant length where you want to stitch it. :-) (10/08/2010)

By CJean

Hemming Jeans

I do jeans all the time. I make sure shortening them includes cutting the original hem off. I leave 1 full inch to fold under, gives you whoops room. I also press the jean/pants where it is to be finished at. Gives visual without a lot of pinning. I have that adapter to use for the sewing machine, found I did better without it. Slow down, have an 18 sized needle in it. Good thread, 100% cotton. I don't use the same color the thread was originally. I use the pant color thread. easier to hid the hem. I can also blind hem with my sewing machine, so that is an option too. But steam pressing of what you sew is important. It helps flatten it very well. Don't sew it till it is dry. (10/10/2010)

By TandT Grandma

Crafts Clothing AlterationsMarch 5, 2011
wisteria on chainlink fence
Dressing up a Chain Link Fence
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Making a Jeans Apron
Stack of Jeans
Saving Money on Jeans