When should I plant my Easter Lily?

Q: I just got a white Easter Lily today and I was wondering when I should plant it. Do you have to wait until fall or can you plant them now? It's still got some flowers and green leaves. Do I have to plant it when the top turns brown? Also after I do plant it, will it come back year after year?

luv2craft from Normalville, Pennsylvania

A: luv2craft,

As long as danger from frost has passed, as soon as the flowers die back on your Easter lily, cut the stem back to three inches and plant it in the ground. Select a sunny, protected location for transplanting your lily. Make sure the soil contains plenty of organic nutrients, has a neutral to slightly alkaline pH and above all, it has good drainage. If necessary, create a raised bed area by mounding up the soil to ensure proper drainage.

Plant the bulbs 6 inches deep in a hole wide enough to allow the roots to spread out. Work the soil around each bulb to eliminate air pockets, cover with soil and water thoroughly. Lilies like their heads in the sun and their feet in the shade, so after planting, cover the soil around the lily with 2 inches of mulch or compost.

New growth will start to emerge as the old stem dies back. You may get lucky and see a second bloom this season, otherwise be prepared to wait until next summer (or for the right conditions).

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

I planted an Easter lily late last spring. I was surprised to see that it grew again in the fall and had a few beautiful blooms! It was strange seeing white Easter lilies in the fall. I live in zone 5 and planted it after it had died back. I cut off all but about 3 inches. I thought maybe it had died, but it came back. It has also come back this spring, so I assume it will be nice once again late summer.

We planted all the lilies in containers we had for our wedding in the backyard right away (it was summer in N.J.) and the gardener told us it was ok.

I have planted my left over Easter Lilies for several years....After they are done blooming I put them where I want them in the garden. They multiplied and have bloomed for several years, but they usually bloom in late May or June. Florists "force" lilies to bloom for Easter.

Ooops I meant to also say that I am in Tennessee!

I plant all my Easter flowers in the spring after they have finished blooming..

Home and Garden Gardening FlowersJune 7, 2006
Easter Lilies
Caring for Potted Easter Lilies
Easter Centerpiece
Easter Centerpiece Ideas
Little boy in a brown bunny costume.
Making an Easter Rabbit Costume
Closeup of lily-of-the-valley flowers against green of leaves and blue sky.
Growing Lily-of-the-Valley