Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Natural Remedies for Silverfish

Does any one know how to get rid of silverfish without chemicals? Any help would be appreciated.

By Mari from southern CA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By CindyL03/24/2011

I just read that you can prevent them from going in cabinets by laying clove in the cabinets, that they don't like that at all. By all means, seal and store your cereal and other dry goods in ziplock bags. If you can access the wet part of your house that they were originally drawn to, get the cause of the dampness fixed and get a dehumidifier in there to dry it out. They like damp dark places and once you dry out their hiding places; they won't come back! One more thing, vacuum out any places they might be hiding in too; suck 'em right out! One more thing, since they come in from outside, you may want to treat your yard. Paying close attention to treating around the foundation, we do that and it really helps. Good luck and please let the rest of us know if any of these remedies actually worked for you!

By vicki hood [4]02/20/2011

If you choose anything with diatomacious earth, good idea to order food grade only. Inexpensive. Safe. i get mine from www.earthworkshealth.com. The list of many applications is very interesting. My house will never be without DE.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Remedies for Silverfish

What is a home remedy for silverfish? Denice From Alvin, TX

RE: Remedies for Silverfish

I know they like to house in papers. So getting rid of any extra paper piles will help. IE: newspapers, magazines, paper grocery sacks. Good luck. Liz (01/15/2007)

By Ole Lulu

Archive: Natural Remedies for Silverfish

How can I get rid of Silverfish naturally?

Grace from New York

RE: Natural Remedies for Silverfish

I have not tried this but it was recommended by a friend.

Silverfish Bait
Silverfish seek out food sources that are high in starch -- particularly books, magazines, and wallpaper. They'll also munch on flour and cereal, starched clothing, and some synthetic fabrics. Reducing paper and properly storing clothes and pantry items will make your home less appetizing for them.
1 cup oatmeal, ground to flour in a blender
1/2 tsp. white sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. powered boric acid

Mix all ingredients well and put a teaspoonful in a couple of shallow containers placed near hiding spots. Cover bait with crumpled pieces of paper. The silverfish will eat the bait along with the paper and then die. Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after mixing. This is poisonous -- keep the bait away from children and pets. (01/21/2008)

By Susan

RE: Natural Remedies for Silverfish

Diatomaceous earth. You should be able to buy it at any garden center. (01/21/2008)

By Maryeileen

RE: Natural Remedies for Silverfish

For the DE suggestion, do you just sprinkle some around inside cabinets? Or set out in a shallow bowl? Thanks for the great idea! (01/23/2008)

By Laura

RE: Natural Remedies for Silverfish

DE should be sprinkled in out-of-the-way places, so if your cabinets are used for dishes, I would not suggest putting it there. Do a search on the internet for Diatomaceous earth for possible solutions. (01/24/2008)

By Maryeileen

RE: Natural Remedies for Silverfish

My grandmother taught me. The best "repellent" is cucumber peelings! Use a knife (not a potato peeler) so you make the "strips" of peeling a little thicker. Then put 2 or more strips in each cabinet section, or on closet floors. In a basement you can lay a strip every couple of feet. Once the strips dry up, replace them if you still have the bugs.

Another thing I found out, to keep silverfish from ever coming into your house, be careful of which plants you have near your home. Hollyhocks and "bridal wreath" are major attractions for silverfish. (01/26/2008)

By xsnos2