Getting Personal Information from an Email Address

An old friend is asking me for my email address. I don't want her to know where I live, in what country, state or city. If I give her my email address is there a way she could know or find out?

By Sophia from Vista, CA

Best Answer

You can get a free e-mail address at hotmail.com, yahoo.com,

icq.com and others. I have a couple of them that I use for very specific people. They do not require to list a legal name of any sort, nor any postal address. I have lately been experimenting with another free E-mail service called fastmail.fm and with no bells and whistles, it's fast.

Best Answer

If you have a need to hide that drastically from her why don't you just stop all correspondence with her. Just end the communication. No contact. Done.

Best Answer

Personally, I'd be more concerned if she has your telephone number, unless it's a cell phone. I've easily found home addresses via tracing a phone number by simply visiting whitepages.com and using reverse lookup.

Best Answer

I traveled to a big family event over 1,000 miles away from home. There was a very distant relative (through marriage) that was collecting snail and e-mail addresses from everyone. I had just met him, and he seemed weird to me, so I think I gave him our P.O. Box address (we use that for business), and I did NOT give him our e-mail address. When he saw that I didn't put down an e-mail address, I told him I don't give it out to very many people, because we've had problems with being spammed. That was the end of that conversation. It has been a few years, and I don't think he's ever tried to contact me (or my parents, they were at the event, too).

It's okay to say no, and that you're not comfortable sharing much information. If it's hard, make up an excuse like I did. I do have a relative who I haven't spoken to for probably over 10 years, and he fills my inbox with tons of forwarded mail (never personal notes). Thank goodness I use that as my junk mail address. I just delete his mail, it doesn't harm me, but it's kind of a pain. So this is not an unrealistic excuse.

Use Gmail or Yahoo for multiple email addresses. Is your 'old friend' a stalker? or is she really an 'old friend' or do you owe her money?

"Google"your name and see what comes up on you. There are tons of places through the computer to find just about anyone.

If she wants to find you she can. All she has to do is google your name and there is another site that will give her a map to your house. Maybe she just wants to talk! Is there a reason you don't want her to find you I mean if she was an old friend what is the problem?

Another nice place to research what is on the internet about you is called www.webmii.com I found more with that than Google about me and my sister.

If this is an old 'friend' what's the problem? Apparently you don't want to be that person's friend anymore so just don't be in contact at all otherwise that's mean of you to give them hope and you're playing a game. :-(

If she were really smart, yes she could follow up the ISP, etc from your email. If your email address is through a popular server, it is harder than a local ISP. Those are easy to find.

Maybe she reads ThriftyFun and you just let her know you live in Vista. How easy is that for her to find you. Vista's not that big, y'know.

Good thinking.

Wow, I did the webmii.com and it gave me my email address without asking for it, the list of relatives, etc. Kind of scary!

Ditto what T&T Grandma said your location can be obtained from the IP address in your email whether if be from hotmail or gmail or yahoo or otherwise.

Shredded Privacy
Protecting Personal Information
Better Living Safety PersonalJuly 8, 2010
A blank address book
Address Book Tips and Tricks
Junk Mail or Email Spam
Preventing Junk Mail or Email Spam
Photo of a person clicking on their inbox.
Organizing Your Email
Gmail
Using Gmail
🎄
🍂