Carpet Stain Removers

How do you get a dirt stain out of carpet?

I find that spot removers for my dog's accidents don't get rinsed properly and the cleaner residue attracts dirt again. Every so often I get out my Hoover carpet cleaner and just use hot water. It is unbelievable how many suds come up from those spots. But over the years I don't think I will be able to get them completely rinsed. I also like the Spot Shot. Follow the directions on the can.

July 25, 2007 Flag

What I am really looking for is a carpet stain remover. We built our house in 2002. I was pregnant at the time and I think my hormones were affecting my brain, because I picked out a very light Berber carpet for the whole house. With a dog, a child and everyday foot traffic the living room and dining room carpet is looking very sad. The carpet looks completely matted down in some areas and I also have matted brown/dirt stains. I have had the carpet cleaned, and it looks good for a couple of weeks, but after that it looks matted down and brown in the same spots.

I have tried over the counter carpet stain removers, the product, Awesome, and shaving cream. Nothing is really helping.

If anyone has any answers I would love to read them.

Thank You,
Ronda S from Clarksburg, WV

Carpet Stain Removers

I get this too, after we shampooed, especially in our dog's favorite hangouts! Some homemade cleaners, or things like pine sol and bleach, can remove the sealant, making stains last, and old dirt from the pad and lower pile come back up. The best thing I have used that is safe for most carpets, especially berber, is Folex. It is a cleaner with organic enzymes, and gets most stains out. But, unless it is soil, it doesn't do much for OLD set stains. Unless a "professional" knows otherwise, you may just need to cover with throw rugs until you get new carpet. I am renting my place (hoping to buy soon) and we have a grey/blue carpet with cheap weave. (06/04/2006)

By camo_angels

Carpet Stain Removers

I am an avid user of "SPOT SHOT". It has taken out everything I have ever used it on and the stain does not reappear. It comes in a blue and orange spray can or spray bottle. You can find it at most grocery stores or Wal-Mart and Target. (06/04/2006)

By Marnita

Carpet Stain Removers

I've had great luck with Oxy Clean powder. Dissolve in lukewarm water and spoon onto spots. Let sit a little while and blot up with white rag. I've even gotten out an old ink stain and red wine stains. Occasionally you will need to repeat. (06/05/2006)

By Jill from Iowa

Carpet Stain Removers

If you will check ThriftyFun's archives under "cleaning" and then "carpet" you can read many entries on this subject. My guess, and it is ONLY a guess... is that the various cleaners and detergents have not been fully rinsed out of the carpet. Any detergent or soap residue does seem to attract the dirt. If I were in your shoes I'd probably rent or borrow a steam type carpet shampoo machine but only use hot water in it.......or only put some white vinegar in the hot water... NO cleaner! It couldn't hurt anything and might very well solve your problem. (06/05/2006)

By Grandma Margie

Carpet Stain Removers

Carpet Stain Removers

Windex works wonders, just spray it on and rub with a brush.

By Deb

Homemade Carpet Shampoo Recipes
Homemade Carpet Shampoo Recipes
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Carpet RecipesJuly 25, 2007
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
shoe polish
Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet
Coffee Stain on Carpet
Removing a Coffee Stain from Carpet
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet