Clothing Ironing Tips

Tips for ironing clothing. Post your ideas.

Showing: Answers Sort

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel 10 2,498 Flag

Fill a trigger spray bottle with water and keep it with your ironing supplies. Always handy.

Reuse a detergent bottle (cleaned of all detergent traces) by filling it with water for filling your steam iron.

By Syd

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jo Bodey 1 234 Flag

My ironing tip is - don't! As you gradually replace your clothes get rid of any item that needs ironing and replace with items that don't. Line drying or hanging immediately when removing from dryer also cuts down on creasing and the necessity to iron - leaving washing in 'ironing baskets' lead to very creased clothes and produces more ironing! I have only 2 cotton shirts that need ironing and I usually don't bother ironing those if I'm not going anywhere special. My iron is used for sewing projects and my ironing board lives out in the back shed I use it so infrequently. Unless you need to look very smart for work or socialising ironing is a total waste of time and effort in my opinion. Give yourself permission to free yourself from this boring repetetive chore - unless you enjoy it of course!

Regards

Jo

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mitzi 29 18 Flag

Ironing table cloths: Fold cloth in half length wise and iron one side of cloth, avoiding the center fold. Turn cloth over and iron the other side. When both sides are complete, place cloth on the ironing board down the middle and press the middle crease. Makes table cloth ironing a LOT easier. Also, Magic Sizing comes in mighty handy and can be purchased at a Dollar store for guess what ... a dollar!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel 10 2,498 Flag

I love mixing 1 part fabric softener to 5 parts water and spraying my laundry with it before ironing. It not only makes my clothes smell wonderful, but it makes pressing a snap and the items stay wrinkle free. I also use it to freshen my curtains and bedding and closets.

By AMY-TROY, OHIO

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Pat 12 Flag

I love to iron! I take some items out of the dryer a little before they are completely dry and then iron them with a little lavender water spray. The aroma is so very nice and

does linger nicely on the clothing. It also makes the iron glide easily over the fabrics.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Where does Sadiesnana get lavendar water for ironing??

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I love my steam iron, but hate all of the mess and time it takes to fill it. Does anyone know a really fast and easy way to fill a steam iron without getting water all over, etc.?

Thanks!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I use deionised water in my iron because the water round here is so hard. I add a few drops of lavender oil to the water, shake it up well and then put it in my iron. I also use tap water with lavender oil in a spray bottle. You could use any essential oil, but I like lavender and it's the cheapest.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Rose Anne Hutchence 7 265 Flag

I'm with Jo Body on this: unless you enjoy the chore, don't iron. Although it requires a bit of extra time and effort while doing laundry, don't over-dry garments. Use the air dry or fluff setting on the dryer or stop it while your clothes are still damp. Hang your shirts / blouses, slacks, dresses, skirts on hangers, to air dry (and help humidify your home) and they simply don't get as wrinkled. Sweaters? Hang them if you have hangers with padding or lay them flat on towels on the floor (in low traffic areas of course) and even the thinnest sweaters won't get wrinkled.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Ironing Tips
Ironing Tips
Previous
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryJuly 6, 2005
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Front of a wrinkled shirt.
Preventing Wrinkled Clothing
Over the Door Ironing Board
Using an Over the Door Ironing Board
Woman Holding Up Shirt With Iron Burn
Wrinkle Free Clothes Without Ironing
Ironing Tips
Ironing Tips
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 8:03:54 AM on 10.0.0.168 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings