TipsComputers

Have a UPS to Protect Your Computer from Power Surges

Regarding surge protector power strips and computers, please be aware that a nano rated circuit interrupter is required to protect a PC from voltage surge. The $10 power strips you see at hardware stores with John Madden's face on the box may prevent a sustained surge from causing your PC from busting into flames, but the slow trip speed WILL NOT protect it from damage. But even more importantly, over 75% of computers damaged by power issues are cause by brown outs, not surges. Only a properly rated UPS (uninterrupted power supply), also called a battery back up will protect your PC from both surges and sags in voltage. UPS's can be found in any computer store.

Source: 26 years personal experience in the electronics industry.

By Tony from Jacksonville, FL

This is also good information for anybody who has a TV antenna. Lightning hit my antenna, went thru the lines under the house and completely destroyed the surge protector but didn't hurt the TV at all. It did, however, ruin the Dish TV satellite box - guess it was more sensitive. It was so bad that it burned two holes in the carpet! If I had not had the large surge protector, I would have lost all of my entertainment system; in fact, I could have lost the entire house! Thanks for sharing this information - hope people will listen and learn! God bless you.

I have often wondered how much protection my regular surge protector provides. Thanks for the info. During a thunderstorm, I just pull the plug out of the wall, to protect my computer and printer.