Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Hair Dye from the Bathroom Wall

Does anyone know how to get red hair dye off of a newly painted light green bathroom wall? I used hairspray, ammonia, and gentle Soft Scrub. They haven't worked. I'm afraid to use bleach as it might turn it white. Any ideas?

By Sheri from Chino, CA

By Gail Vance [16]06/27/2010

I'm glad I'm not the only one. lol. I too have red hair and have made a lot of mess over the years. What works for me on walls, counter tops, and even the floor are the Mr. Clean Sponges. They are amazing and work for me every time. Hope this helps.

By Louise B. [4]06/26/2010

I don't think bleach should hurt your paint. Try it on an inconspicuous spot to see. Bleach takes the color out of things that are dyed, like clothing. Paint is not the same thing.

By Anonymous [848]06/26/2010

Hopefully you kept some of the paint so you can touch up the spot. :-(

By Gloria [5]06/26/2010

Repaint the spot with the stain on it.

Here are questions related to Removing Hair Dye from the Bathroom Wall.

Question: Removing Hair Dye from Walls and Floor

I dyed my hair black last weekend and it won't come out of my walls and floor. What should I use to get it out? I used everything I could think of. Please help.

By Ashley

Question: Removing Hair Dye from Painted Wall

How do I get hair dye off a painted bathroom wall after it has dried for a few minutes? OK, so my wife dyed her hair in my mom's bathroom which of course she did not see it at the time. She tried cleaning it and so did I and I think it may have eaten through the paint. So does that mean I have to paint the walls. Cause I don't think any cleaner will work.

By Josh

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie01/14/2013

I think your mum just won a new paint job for her bathroom. Stuff happens. Apologise profusely and ask her if she'd like a different colour or any decoration changes while you're at the repair job.

And hey, if she's anything like me, she'll say 'Oh, there's a tin of the paint in the garage for just this sort of mishap:)' and all you'll have to do is a spot job.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Hair Dye from the Bathroom Wall

Anyone know if there is any way to get permanent hair dye off of painted walls? Shisaiah

After dying my hair last weekend, I discovered dye spots on the bathroom wall - something I was especially unhappy about as a renter ;)

I went after the spots with Ajax and a whole host of other cleaners before I finally resorted to using some Sno-Bowl (toilet bowl cleaner) and a sponge; the spots came right out! I was impressed.

Make sure you leave the bathroom window open if you use this method, however, as the smell of the cleaner tends to hang out for quite a while.

Happy dye-ing :) By Ashley (02/12/2005)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Removing Hair Dye from the Bathroom Wall

Thanks for the tip, gonna try it on my toilet lid that I dripped on a few weeks ago (02/14/2005)

By imaqt1962

One of my hair dresses told me you can get hair dye off your skin with more hair dye. Use the left over in your container and rub it on the spot. Maybe this will work for you. (02/20/2005)

By Monita Paulson

Try Oxy-Clean. I had hair dye on my bathroom carpet that had been there for about 3 or 4 months and after trying numerous things to remove it I made a strong solution of Oxy-Clean and it took it right out without much scrubbing. Hope it helps! (06/14/2005)

By tiffanyau

I dyed my hair and I didn't use the gloves its all over my hands i have tried a lot of things what do you think I should use to get this off? (07/03/2005)

By mallory

Way back in the day, eighth grade to be exact, me and my friend Teresa were dying the ends of our hair blue and managed to get blue hair dye all over the painted wall, and bathroom sink. Mix powder laundry detergent with water to make a paste and leave it on the dyed spot for 5-10 minutes and then wipe it off with a washrag. If it does not come of scrub it gently with the rag and water. (07/15/2005)

By cassidy

I tried Clorox toilet bowl cleaner because I didn't have Sno-Bowl and it worked! (12/20/2006)

By Suzie

How do I remove hair dye from the bath(not plastic). (03/21/2007)

By Hazel

Does anyone know how to remove hair dye splatters on bathroom paint?

I used vinegar and Soft Scrub, but only had luck getting the dye off the painted walls.

These two didn't work on the painted cabinet, which is weird because the paint here is a kind of gloss and you'd think the dye would come off easier.

The dye came off easier on the walls which were painted with flat paint.

Thanks for your help.

Smoochie from Houston, TX

I make a mess every single time I dye my hair. Bleach on a sponge gets it off walls and floors. Everything except the vanity which is painted with a high gloss stain. Yes, you would think it would come right off a finish like that. Weird, isn't it? (09/23/2007)

By perfume and powder

You might try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I was surprised what it can do. I bought a generic 2 pak at the Dollar Tree and they work just as good. (09/25/2007)

By ruthvalleygal

If it is white enamel paint, I just used some more white enamel paint and it covered it up. This was in an older house. (02/26/2008)

By ItGetsBetter

This is the absolute best way. Today, I did the same thing. And came looking for ways to get it off. None of these solutions worked. So, I was thinking of all the things, that I had in the house. I remembered reading in a fashion magazine that using nail polish remover would work. Sure enough it came right out. (05/11/2008)

My teenager got blue hair dye all over the bathroom. I tried vinegar all that did was take the paint of the wall (good thing it was a little spot) so I tried the toilet cleaner with bleach worked like a charm! Thanks everyone. (05/22/2008)

By Bonnie

This works every time! Especially on white walls. Put whitening tooth paste (I use Arm and Hammer with baking soda) on the spot and leave there over night. Simply wipe off the tooth paste in the morning and voowala. (08/11/2008)

By Ashley

Bathroom cleaner with bleach works great for getting it off hardwood floors and baseboards. (08/11/2008)

By Christina

The only way I've found to get hair dye off the toilet lid and seat is to use Goof Off and a Scotch Brite pad. Works really well, but be careful because you are removing a thin layer of white coating as well. Good for one-time removal, but I wouldn't use it more than that. (10/04/2008)

By Julie

I just managed to get black hair dye on a white painted wooden door. You can get it out by dipping a damp cloth in vanish stain remover (the one for clothing) and then scrubbing the stain for about 10 minutes and it should fade and come out. Also, it didn't damage the door. (10/15/2009)

By tiffy_01