Removing Hair Dye from the Bathroom Wall

Does anyone know how to get red hair dye off of a newly painted light green bathroom wall? I used hairspray, ammonia, and gentle Soft Scrub. They haven't worked. I'm afraid to use bleach as it might turn it white. Any ideas?

By Sheri from Chino, CA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Repaint the spot with the stain on it.

Hopefully you kept some of the paint so you can touch up the spot. :-(

I don't think bleach should hurt your paint. Try it on an inconspicuous spot to see. Bleach takes the color out of things that are dyed, like clothing. Paint is not the same thing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. lol. I too have red hair and have made a lot of mess over the years. What works for me on walls, counter tops, and even the floor are the Mr. Clean Sponges. They are amazing and work for me every time. Hope this helps.

Answer

Does anyone know how to remove hair dye splatters on bathroom paint?

I used vinegar and Soft Scrub, but only had luck getting the dye off the painted walls.

These two didn't work on the painted cabinet, which is weird because the paint here is a kind of gloss and you'd think the dye would come off easier.

The dye came off easier on the walls which were painted with flat paint.

Thanks for your help.

Smoochie from Houston, TX

Answers:

I make a mess every single time I dye my hair. Bleach on a sponge gets it off walls and floors. Everything except the vanity which is painted with a high gloss stain. Yes, you would think it would come right off a finish like that. Weird, isn't it? (09/23/2007)

By perfume and powder

You might try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I was surprised what it can do. I bought a generic 2 pak at the Dollar Tree and they work just as good. (09/25/2007)

By ruthvalleygal

If it is white enamel paint, I just used some more white enamel paint and it covered it up. This was in an older house. (02/26/2008)

By ItGetsBetter

This is the absolute best way. Today, I did the same thing.
And came looking for ways to get it off. None of these solutions worked.

So, I was thinking of all the things, that I had in the house.
I remembered reading in a fashion magazine that using nail polish remover would work.
Sure enough it came right out. (05/11/2008)

My teenager got blue hair dye all over the bathroom. I tried vinegar all that did was take the paint of the wall (good thing it was a little spot) so I tried the toilet cleaner with bleach worked like a charm! Thanks everyone. (05/22/2008)

By Bonnie

This works every time! Especially on white walls. Put whitening tooth paste (I use Arm and Hammer with baking soda) on the spot and leave there over night. Simply wipe off the tooth paste in the morning and voowala. (08/11/2008)

By Ashley

Bathroom cleaner with bleach works great for getting it off hardwood floors and baseboards.
(08/11/2008)

By Christina

The only way I've found to get hair dye off the toilet lid and seat is to use Goof Off and a Scotch Brite pad. Works really well, but be careful because you are removing a thin layer of white coating as well. Good for one-time removal, but I wouldn't use it more than that. (10/04/2008)

By Julie

I just managed to get black hair dye on a white painted wooden door. You can get it out by dipping a damp cloth in vanish stain remover (the one for clothing) and then scrubbing the stain for about 10 minutes and it should fade and come out. Also, it didn't damage the door. (10/15/2009)

By tiffy_01

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Anyone know if there is any way to get permanent hair dye off of painted walls?

Shisaiah

Answers:

After dying my hair last weekend, I discovered dye spots on the bathroom wall - something I was especially unhappy about as a renter ;)

I went after the spots with Ajax and a whole host of other cleaners before I finally resorted to using some Sno-Bowl (toilet bowl cleaner) and a sponge; the spots came right out! I was impressed.

Make sure you leave the bathroom window open if you use this method, however, as the smell of the cleaner tends to hang out for quite a while.

Happy dye-ing :)

By Ashley (02/12/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Thanks for the tip, gonna try it on my toilet lid that I dripped on a few weeks ago (02/14/2005)

By imaqt1962

One of my hair dresses told me you can get hair dye off your skin with more hair dye. Use the left over in your container and rub it on the spot. Maybe this will work for you. (02/20/2005)

By Monita Paulson

Try Oxy-Clean. I had hair dye on my bathroom carpet that had been there for about 3 or 4 months and after trying numerous things to remove it I made a strong solution of Oxy-Clean and it took it right out without much scrubbing. Hope it helps! (06/14/2005)

By tiffanyau

I dyed my hair and I didn't use the gloves its all over my hands i have tried a lot of things what do you think I should use to get this off? (07/03/2005)

By mallory

Way back in the day, eighth grade to be exact, me and my friend Teresa were dying the ends of our hair blue and managed to get blue hair dye all over the painted wall, and bathroom sink. Mix powder laundry detergent with water to make a paste and leave it on the dyed spot for 5-10 minutes and then wipe it off with a washrag. If it does not come of scrub it gently with the rag and water. (07/15/2005)

By cassidy

I tried Clorox toilet bowl cleaner because I didn't have Sno-Bowl and it worked! (12/20/2006)

By Suzie

How do I remove hair dye from the bath(not plastic). (03/21/2007)

By Hazel

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
A woman dyeing her hair.
Removing Hair Dye on a Painted Wall
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomJune 24, 2010
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 11:09:49 AM on 10.0.0.244 in 804 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.