Can You Replant Tomatoes In The Same Place?

Question:

Can you replant tomatoes where you have had tomatoes the year before if the tomatoes had no problems? Thank you.

4doglarry from Morganton, NC

Answer:

4doglarry,

To get the most out of your soil and reduce pest and disease problems, it's best to avoid planting the same annual crops in the same place each year. Because crops in the same family are susceptible to the same soil borne pests and diseases, it is also wise to avoid replanting where any of that crop's relatives were grown during the previous year. For example, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants are all in the same botanical family (nightshade). That means to minimize the potential for pest and disease problems, you should not plant tomatoes in the same spot you planted peppers or eggplants last year. Crop rotation is also important in regards to soil nutrients. For example, beans actually put nitrogen back into the soil, whereas corn and zucchini are heavy nitrogen feeders. By rotating crops every year, you will ensure that no one part of your vegetable garden gets depleted of important nutrients.

Here is a list of some vegetables families. These can all be planted together in one part of the garden and swapped the following year with a different family group.

• Legumes and pods: Beans, Garden peas, okra, sugar peas.

• Brassicas: Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, radishes, turnips.

• Alliums: garlic, onions, scallion.

• Solanaceous, root and tuber crops: Beets, carrots, eggplant, parsnips, peppers, potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes.

Good luck!

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

I have planted my tomatoes in the same spot for the past 3 years. I always have loads of beautiful, healthy tomatoes.

I have heard and read that you shouldn't. I've never had any luck planting them in the same place.

I've had no problem with my tomatoes being in the same spot going on four years now.

Some say you shouldn't; I've not had a problem. I think the key is cleaning up in the fall so no cooties are overwintering. Also, when I plant my tomatoes, I toss a handful of crushed eggshells into the hole. Blossom-end rot is a calcium deficiency, and the eggshells take care of that problem. And they're free!

I also plant mine in the same spot every year as I only plant tomatoes and cucumbers in a small area (all in cages). I try to put new dirt in the hole before planting...just in case. I have had no problems.

They say you shouldn't because of diseases. They should be moved around from year to year.

Home and Garden Gardening PlantingAugust 28, 2008
Peeling Tomatoes
Peeling Tomatoes
Canned Tomatoes on White Background
Canning Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
🎉
🎄