Signs That a Dog is Pregnant

We have nine month old Poodle Terrier. How do we know if she's pregnant?

By Tina from Birmingham, AL

She is young, so a trip to the vet may be the first thing you need to do. Check out 'dog pregnancy' on line for tips.

Wow. She is so young! I would take her to the Veterinarian and have an exam, if she is not pregnant leave her there to be spay.

Signs That a Dog is Pregnant

I think my dog is pregnant. What are some signs I should be looking for? I know she has gotten sick two times since I have had her. What should I do?

By Jamienimmo81 from Sikeston, MO

Answers:

Signs That a Dog is Pregnant

You can have an xray done by your vet to determine if your dog is pregnant. This is also, a good tool to find out how many pups to expect. If you dog isn't far along, you can still have her spayed. There are enough puppies in the world. Millions of unwanted dogs get euthanized in shelters every year. Sad but true. (04/20/2009)

By knewton37

Signs That a Dog is Pregnant

Vet immediately. If she's a sickly dog as you mentioned, you need to have her checked out. She may not even be pregnant, but if she is and is ill, she may not be able to carry pups.

Also, do you know who the father is? She looks like a small dog so if it's a much larger dog, you need to know that ahead of time as she may not be able to deliver them normally and require vet intervention.

Ditto the spaying comments. If you are not comfortable having the pups aborted, start now working to find caring, loving homes for them. That's your responsibility. Once she's had the litter, she can safely be spayed. (04/27/2009)

By knitter06040