Grinding Meat

I am finally going to try my hand at grinding my own hamburger in the food processor and am wondering if you could share some tips. I have read sirloin is good with a strip of bacon for the fat content, while using chuck is good also. Please help with any good ideas. Do you use seasonings? Or wait until just before cooking? Thanks.

By Ms. Carmen

I use the leanest cut I can find and since almost all beef has some fat I find the natural marbeling to be enough. If I'm browning the ground meat I have to add a bit of water to the skillet so it won't stick but I want the leanest possible meat. I season after grinding, just as I would if I were buying from the store.

Sausage making recipe:

Breakfast Sausage Patties

1-lb ground pork

1-lb ground beef (I use chicken instead)

4-tsp ground sage

2-tsp salt

2-tsp freshly ground black pepper

(Red hot pepper if desired)

Combine all

Form into 1/4" inch thick patties

Best if left in fridge overnight to meld flavors, or freeze with method below

Fry in a large skillet over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes aside, or until done

Will make 10-12 patties that are 4 inches round, & a fraction of an thick

I like to freeze them laid out on a wax paper lined baking sheet overnight, and then bag them the next day so they freeze individually.Cook one patty to see if you need to ad something to it,good luck.

I grind my own burger. I use the leanest meats and don't add fat, why add something you don't need, (I cook for my husband, who had a heart bypass 4 years ago). I find what is in the meat is enough. Don't add seasoning till I use it, I only season ground pork for my sausage. I buy the seasoning mix for that at my grocer.

I always grind my own hamburger. I don't trust what might be in the store bought kind. I buy a small chuck roast (natural, antibiotic and harmone free) and cut it into small chunks. I put a handful of meat in my food processor and run for less than a minute until it is the grind I want. I do not use the leanest meat because I don't like it. It seems dry and tough to me but that of course is anyone's choice. I think the process is simple and easy. You can do as much as you want at a time or a lot and freeze it. If you are making a meat loaf or meatballs you can add the seasonings right in.

We buy briskets on sale usually 99c cents a lb. and trim the fat and grind them into hamburger meat and there is very little grease after cooking. We also grind our own deer meat into chili and hamburger meat. Deer meat is very lean and makes great dishes. People don't know they are eating it if you don't tell them. :-) I would not add bacon to it as fat can go rancid and season when you cook. Good luck and you will never go back to store bought hamburger again!

After watching the documentary movie Food Inc., I'll never consume any ground beef other than my own ground meat. It is very easy, I buy roasts or steaks when they are on sale. To keep down saturated fat I trim as much fat as possible off before grinding. I add olive oil or canola oil when cooking if neccesary for flavor. Good luck and you will be eating a far superior, healthy and less expensive product.

May 23, 2010 Flag

I bought a meat grinder yesterday, because I am tired of the high price of hamburger and ground pork. I plan on buying roasts when they are on sale and grinding them myself.

By Lisa T.

Answers:

Grinding Meat

Grocery stores in my area will grind any meat free of charge when you ask. The only exception is, if it a marked down item.

On a mark down item, then I will grind it myself.

I hate to clean the grinder, if I don't have too.

(10/01/2004)

By Syd

Grinding Meat

After you grind the meat, run a bit of bread or cracker through the grinder to be sure all the meat is through. Makes it easier to clean, too. (10/01/2004)

By lindal

Grinding Meat

I am on a lowfat diet, and to know for sure that my ground beef is lowfat, I grind my own. Our Kroger Stores often have beef roast on sale, usually for $1.69 a pound.
Grinding your own eliminates large quantities of fat in your hamburger. And another problem is that most places add water to meats, steaks and hamburger alike. So grinding your own eliminates this problem also.
(10/04/2004)

By Harlean from AR

Grinding Meat

One year my husband hunted deer. When he left meat at the butcher, he brought home the meat he wanted us to grind. We added some sausage and ground up pounds and pounds for breakfast sausages. It was really delicious. (10/07/2004)

By patsAZ

Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatMay 23, 2010
Woman Grinding teeth and massaging jazz.
Teeth Grinding Treatment
Making Soymilk
Making Soymilk
Coffee Grinder
Cleaning a Coffee Grinder
Horseradish Sauce
Horseradish Sauce Recipes
🎉
🎄