Pine Floors Have Turned Orange

We finished a southern pine floor with clear, oil based semi-gloss varathane. We wanted the floor to stay a natural color, but they have turned orangey. How could we have prevented this orange color? Should we have used some kind of base coat first, or should we have used a completely different finishing product? We have more floors to finish and we don't want the same thing to happen to them.

By DocMartin from Bradford, OH

To prevent this you should have used a water based polyurethane. It is non-yellowing. I hate to tell you this but the finish you put on will have to be removed.

Any pine product that I know of turns golden yellow and even darker sometimes with age and sunlight.

themuffster and Laniegirl,

Thanks for the posts. I thought maybe a water based polyurethane would be the answer. However, I read in a finishing book that there are some waterbased finishes that will react with the tannin in the wood and cause weird discolorations. Therefore I am worried about which product to choose. There are so many different products out there and, according to the article I read, they all have their own unique compositions.

Home and Garden Home Improvement FlooringJune 18, 2009
Pine needle bunches tied with fabric.
Crafts Using Pine Needles
Pine Cones
Getting Seeds From Pine Cones
A pile of shelled pine nuts
Recipes Using Pine Nuts
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants